A few weeks ago I made some moustache cupcakes for someone – she loved them, and I hope her boyfriend (who she had them made for!) loved them too!
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties and celebrations (and for everyday treats!) for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I made my go-to vanilla and chocolate cupcakes, covered with a swirl of vanilla buttercream and black edible glitter.
The decorations were little presents, moustaches made from candy melts and sugarpaste letters/numbers. I love making cupcakes – they’re so stress free!
For the cupcakes[br]
- 335g unsalted butter, softened
- 335g caster sugar
- 335g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream icing
- 500g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- food colouring (optional)
- food glitter (optional)
- sprinkles (optional)
- toppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175C/Gas 4.
- Place 24 cupcake cases into tins.
- Put all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 3 minutes until smooth, pale and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases. (see notes above)
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
To make the buttercream
- Add the softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
- Slowly sift in the icing sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the milk (or lemon juice) and vanilla extract. Then add a few drops of food colouring at a time to get the desired shade. Add some food glitter to the mix too.
- You should find that the buttercream will form stiff(ish!) peaks and can be used in a piping bag.
- Only decorate the cupcakes when they are completely cool.
- Place some of the buttercream icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle attached (don't overfill the bag) and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with more food glitter or sprinkles.
- Add a topper if desired.