I made manitaria krasata – that’s mushrooms in wine in English for my Greek Cypriot Meze. Super simple to make. You can use any kind of mushrooms you like, but I used button mushrooms. You need red wine – so open a bottle of that to eat with your meal and spare some for the fungi – or buy a small bottle to cook with (it’s what I do as not fond of red wine to drink) and some coriander seeds.
- 300g mushrooms
- olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- red wine
- salt and pepper
- Clean the mushrooms and depending on their size, keep them whole, halve or quarter them.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and throw in the mushrooms and fry them for a few minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the crushed coriander seeds.
- Pour a good glug of olive to cover the mushrooms and reduce to simmer.
- When the liquid has reduced they are ready to serve. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot as part of a meze.