These Maleficent Ears are perfect for fans of the Mistress of Evil! If you love Mickey Ears at the Disney Parks and have always wanted to make your own pair, then this tutorial is for YOU!
No sewing is involved – just some hot glue action – and the end result is stunning! These handmade Maleficent Ears are perfect to wear at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, or at any Halloween parties, you’ll be attending.
The Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is a celebration of everything Halloween and Autumn. Now in its 8th year, the 2019 series is bigger and better, running from September 1st, all the way through All Hallows’ Eve on October 31st!
I have included links to some great products and services that I think you would love.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a confession to make: My name is Michelle… And I’m a Disney Ears addict!
We took our first trip to Walt Disney World in 2011, and have since become Disney Vacation Club Members. We’ve visited seven times now, and I buy several pairs of Ears on each trip! I must have around 30 pairs, if not more!
Disney has really upped their Mickey Ear game recently, but they have also upped their prices too… starting at around $27 plus tax! So, if you don’t want to pay that much money for a pair of Disney Ears, or can’t get to a Disney Park, then you might want to make a pair of them yourself.
And that is where this Maleficent Ears tutorial comes in!
Now, don’t panic if you’ve seen other Disney Ear tutorials where the ears are sewn, and you can’t sew a stitch – no sewing is required to make these Ears. And while they may look like they’re going to be complicated to make, I promise you that it is easier than you think.
I’ve got a ton of step-by-step photos to guide you through making your Maleficent Ears, and there is also a slideshow video over on my YouTube channel that you can watch (Don’t forget to subscribe while you are there!).
Materials & Tools Needed
These Maleficent Mickey Ears are made with craft foam sheets – the regular kind, and the glittery stuff too. You could buy a big pack of colours as this is a great craft material, or buy them individually.
The ears and horns have three layers each of foam – the outer layers are glitter, and the inner one is just regular foam. The bow is made completely from glitter foam sheets.
- Foam Sheets in Black and Purple
- Glitter Foam Sheets in Black, Purple, and (Apple) Green – or buy a multipack of glitter foam colours for future crafting.
- Hot Glue Gun – I recommend a low temp glue gun and glue sticks so as not to melt the foam.
- Marker or Pen to trace the printable template (below)
- Black Sewing Trim
- Black Headband
I would love if you shared this on Pinterest – just use the button below. Your shares are how The Purple Pumpkin Blog grows and I am sincerely grateful every time you share something. ♥ You are welcome to follow me on Pinterest too where I share tons of great ideas and inspiration!
How to Make Maleficent Ears
Step 1: Download and print the Maleficent Mickey Ears template (opens in a new window/tab), then cut all the pieces out.
Step 2: Trace around the template pieces with a marker pen onto the foam, then cut everything out. This is what you will need:
- 2 x plain purple ears
- 4 x glitter purple ears
- 2 x plain black horns
- 4 x glitter black horns – remember to flip the template so that the glitter is on the outside when you stick them together
- 1 x large glitter purple bow
- 1 x small glitter purple bow
- 1 x small glitter green bow ribbon
- 2 x glitter green flames – remember to flip the template
- 1 x strip glitter purple – to wrap around to form the bow
Step 3: To assemble a Mickey Ear, take two glitter pieces and one regular piece and glue together with the glitter facing outwards. Glue the green glitter flame on top of the purple. Repeat for the other ear. Set aside to dry.
Step 4: To assemble Maleficent’s horns, take two glitter pieces and one regular piece and glue together with the glitter facing outwards. Set aside to dry.
Step 5: To assemble the bow, take the large purple glitter bow piece, bring the two ends into the middle and glue in place. Do the same with the small purple glitter bow piece. Place the small bow on top of the large one and wrap the strip of purple glitter foam around the middle to keep the two bows together. Glue at the back to secure everything in place. Then glue the purple bow to the green glitter bow ribbon and leave all to dry.
Step 6: Now to add the trim to the ears and horns. Apply a layer of glue all around the outside edges and press the trim to cover. Leave to dry.
Step 7: When all the pieces are dry it’s time to assemble! Glue the ears onto the top of the headband, then glue on the horns. Finally, glue the bow in the center, and leave to dry completely before wearing them!
There is a printable set of instructions at the end of this post for you to use offline.
How GORGEOUS are these ears? Maleficent has been my favourite Disney Villain of all time, and I actually own a couple of different pairs of Disney’s Maleficent Ears, but these homemade ones are covered with glitter and are awesome! I LOVE them and I think you will too!
More Disney Crafts
If you are looking for some more Disney crafts to do when you’ve finished making your Maleficent Ears, then here are a few for you to check out:
- Handmade Maleficent Ornament | Disney Paper Craft
- How To Make A Wooden Disney Sign With A Cricut Maker
- Make a Minnie Mouse Hair Bow using Duck Tape
- DIY Disney Vacation Countdown Chalkboard
- Disney Nail Art
More Halloween Crafts
And since it is Crafty October, here are some fun Halloween crafts for you to do:
- Black, and Purple Foam Sheets
- Black, Purple, and Green Glitter Foam Sheets
- Black Sewing Trim
- Black Headband
- Low Heat Hot Glue Gun + Glue Sticks
- Marker or Pen
- Download and print the Maleficent Mickey Ears template. Cut the pieces out.
- Trace around the pieces on the following foam colours: 2 x plain purple ears; 4 x glitter purple ears; 2 x plain black horns; 4 x glitter black horns – remember to flip the template so that the glitter is on the outside when you stick them together; 1 x large glitter purple bow; 1 x small glitter purple bow; 1 x small glitter green bow ribbon; 2 x glitter green flames – remember to flip the template; 1 x strip glitter purple – to wrap around to form bow.
- For the ears and horns glue the regular foam piece between two glitter pieces facing out. Glue the green flames to the ears. Set aside to dry.
- To assemble the bow, fold the ends of the large purple piece into the center and stick in place. Do the same with the smaller purple bow. Place the small bow on top of the large one and wrap a strip of purple glitter foam around the middle and glue to hold both in place. Then glue the bow to the green ribbon piece.
- Apply a layer of glue around the edges of the horns and ears and attach black sewing trim. Set aside to dry.
- To assemble your Maleficent ears, glue the ears to the headband, then the horns on top, and finish with the bow in the center.
- Leave to dry and then your ears are ready to be worn!
Know someone who would love to make their own Maleficent Disney Ears? Why not forward it onto them by email or WhatsApp?
The Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween and Fall! You can check out Crafty October from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!