Following on from my other superfoods recipe for Almond & Cranberry Energy Bites, I’m now sharing a very easy to put together recipe for a Homemade Muesli + Porridge Mix.
I used oats, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pinenuts, sultanas, dried cherries, dried dates, flaked almonds, coconut flakes, dried dates and macadamia nuts, as well some superfood powders from Indigo Herbs to give it added health benefits: organic raw banana powder, bilberry powder and organic acai powder. as I just mixed all the ingredients together in a bowl and transferred to an airtight jar.
You can use any of your favourite dried fruits, nuts and seeds in this oat mix – maybe even make a jar for each family member so it’s personalised to them?
It’s a really filling muesli mix – so you only need a small amount! I used an American quarter cup measurement with some milk, and that was enough for me. With all the dried fruit, it’s sweet enough, but you could drizzle some honey over to add sweetness. I grated some fresh apple into my muesli for breakfast.
To turn the muesli into hot porridge, use a ratio of 1:2 – one part mix to two parts milk. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring once, until thickened. The chocolate chips melt giving it a nice chocolatey twist too!
Then I thought how fab this would be to take to work with you, especially if you’re rushed in the morning and don’t get a chance to have breakfast at home. Half fill a small jar with the muesli mix, and add some milk when you get to work. Similarly, if you have a microwave at work, just pour the mix into bowl, fill up the jar with milk, pour over and cook as instructed above. Hot or cold – the choice is yours!
Homemade Muesli + Porridge Mix
- 300g (3 cups) porridge oats
- 40g (¼ cup) dried cranberries
- 30g (¼ cup) flaked almonds
- 35g (¼ cup) dark chocolate chips
- 50g (¼ cup) sultanas
- 15g (¼ cup) coconut flakes
- 50g (¼ cup) dried cherries
- 50g (¼ cup) macadamia nuts, chopped
- 50g (¼ cup) mixed seeds – pumpkin, sunflower, linseed, flaxseed, pine nuts)
- 50g (¼ cup) dried dates, chopped
- 1 tsp organic raw banana powder
- 1 tsp bilberry powder
- 1 tsp organic acai powder
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix together well.
- Transfer to an airtight jar or container.
- Serve cold with milk.
- Serve hot with a ratio of 1 parts muesli mix to 2 parts milk. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through.