Looking at this pretty Heart Wreath Sign Craft you wouldn’t believe that it is made with inexpensive supplies from the Dollar Store (or equivalent!) This DIY Valentine’s Day craft would make a lovely piece of décor for your home, or even as a sweet gift for a loved one.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Heart Wreath Sign Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
I have always love crafting, but I have to make crafts that serve a purpose! Like this heart wreath sign craft that will make a pretty decoration for Valentine’s Day!
It is made using wooden craft (popsicle) sticks that are glued together to form the backing board – and using brown and white paint to turn the plain wood into looking like distressed wood.
Then a mini heart-shaped grapevine wreath form is stuck onto the board and decorated with faux roses and leaves.
Finally, some twine is attached so that you can hang up the sign, and you are done!
If you’re in the USA, check out your local Dollar Store or Dollar Tree; and if you’re in the UK, the Poundshop, The Range, Wilko, and Baker Ross are great places to shop for cheap and inexpensive craft supplies. The rest of the world reading this – I don’t know every cheap store – sorry! But hunt the ones out in your location for craft bargains!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized materials and tools needed for this craft to Amazon below. The full list of supplies, which may include basic crafting items that you already have can be found in the tutorial card at the end of this post.
- Grapevine Heart-Shaped Wreath Form – you’ll need a small wreath, about 4″/10cm in width.
- Craft Sticks – flat lolly/popsicle sticks
- Small Faux/Fake Roses – any color you prefer. You’ll need about 10 roses (or indeed any flower you like) plus some leaves too.
- Twine – to stick to the sign to hang up.
- Craft Acrylic Paint –you will need white and brown. These two colors will help transform the craft sticks into looking like distressed wood.
More Valentine’s Day Crafts
Once you’ve made lovely wreath I’m sure you’ll be wanting to make more Valentine’s Day crafts – here are some more for you to check out:
- Decorated DIY Valentine’s Day Candle Craft
- Valentine’s Day Craft – Embroidery Hoop Scrabble Tile LOVE Wall Hanging
- How To Make a Heart-Shaped Deco Mesh Valentine Wreath
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try.
How Do I Make Heart Wreath Sign?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 1 (4") Heart-shaped Grapevine Wreath Form
- 14 Craft/Popsicle Sticks
- 1 Bunch of Small Plastic Roses (approx. 8-10 individual flowers)
- White Acrylic Paint
- Brown Acrylic Paint
- Hot Glue Gun and glue stick
- Horizontally line up 11 craft sticks.
- Glue the remaining 3 sticks vertically, keeping the same width apart. This will keep all of the other sticks together.
- Turn over and paint the sticks white.
- While still wet, destress it a bit by dipping into brown paint and going over it. Allow to dry for 5 minutes.
Wipe off your brush and go back into the brown to darken it up, mostly around the edges. Wipe off brush again and go back in with white in the center.
- Set aside to dry for about an hour.
- Glue the heart grapevine wreath form to the sticks. Add more glue as needed, and press until the glue has dried, about 30 seconds or so.
- Remove roses from stems by cutting them off.
- Randomly glue roses where they look nice, on the inside and outside rim of the heart.
- Cut off the small tips of the leaf stems, as well as individual larger leaves.
- Glue the leaves randomly around the roses and the heart.
- Cut a piece of twine to about 6” (15cm) or to the length you would like.
- Turn the sign over and add a little glue to one top corner and carefully glue one end of the twine. (Use another craft stick to press down so you don’t get burned!) Add more glue over it to secure it. Once that has hardened, do the same to the other side.
- Once completely dry, you can hang up and enjoy!