Cast your mind back, if you will, to the Schwartz 2in1 recipe I shared a little while ago. Well, I decided to use one of the packet mixes (garlic & thyme) on polenta and grill it for the vegetarian barbecue we had recently. Just because the suggestion is to use the mix on chicken, doesn’t mean you have to do that!
Polenta is a golden-yellow Italian cornmeal made from dried, ground maize (corn), and also the name given to the savoury cornmeal porridge that’s made by mixing cornmeal with water and simmering and stirring until it thickens – a staple dish of northern Italy. Polenta can be ground coarse or fine and is widely used in the southern states of America to make a variety of dishes, including cornbread, because maize is a major crop in the US.
I bought polenta ready made – saves me having to faff to make it! I just cut slices of the stuff and marinated it with the packet mix. Easiest cooking ever!
I mixed the seasonings with some olive oil to make a paste and then rubbed it over the thickly sliced polenta before grilling it over hot coals. It was very tasty and went down very well at my barbecue.
Of course, I’m sure you could mix together a bunch of herbs and spices and not use a packet mix, but sometimes I like a really easy life! A recipe perhaps for the next BBQ!
- 500g ready made polenta, sliced into ½cm slices
- Schwartz 2in1 Garlic & Thyme Recipe Mixes (roast chicken sachet)
- olive oil
- Mix the garlic and thyme recipe mix with a little olive oil to form a paste.
- Rub into the polenta slices and leave to marinate for about an hour.
- Grill over hot coals until hot through and charred on the outside.
If you’re wondering what that crap is on the coals – it’s where my sweet potato and halloumi burgers didn’t quite work >_<
Since I didn’t want the other half of the packet mix to go to waste, I used it to make roasted veggies. Really simple – don’t you just love simple? Here’s how I made this dish, but the choice of vegetables is yours in the end!
- 1 aubergine, cut into large chunks
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 2 large field mushrooms, quartered
- 8 new potatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, quartered
- Schwarts 2in1 Garlic & Thyme Recipe Mixes (crispy roast potatoes sachet)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/180C(fan)/400F/Gas 6.
- In a roasting dish, mix 2 tbsps oil with the crispy roast potatoes sachet.
- Add the prepared vegetables and toss to evenly cover.
- Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until tender.