These free printable Earth Day Memory Game Cards are great for playing the classic Concentration game (although you may have called it Matching Pairs, or something else entirely!). With an environmental and ecology theme they are just perfect for Earth Day on April 22. Just print out the template, cut out the cards and play!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Earth Day Memory Game
I recently bought a matching card game for my nephew and it dawned on me that this was a printable that I could make and share on my blog!
He is 3 years old and loved trying to find the cards that were the same, even though he didn’t quite grasp the concept completely, he could understand the basic premise.
In my day, we called this game Concentration and would play it with regular playing cards. But having different themes makes the game even more fun!
There are 5 printable sheets with 8 pairs of cards per sheet. Each one is (roughly) themed:
- Celebrating Earth Day
- Endangered Animals
- Green Energy
- Earth’s Biomes/Landscapes
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual event on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First held on April 22, 1970, it now includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.org including 1 billion people in more than 193 countries.Wikipedia
How To Use Earth Day Memory Game Printable
- Download the free printable file to your device.
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- Printables are available in two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″). Download the size that is appropriate for your printer.
- Using a printer, simply print as many of the Earth Day matching game printable as you need onto white paper or cardstock.
- You can mount the print-out onto colored construction paper or cardstock to create a nice reverse-side to the cards. This is optional – you can leave the back white if you prefer.
- Cut the cards out following the guidelines – cut just inside of the gray lines.
- TIP! To protect the cards so that they last longer, laminate each card after cutting. Leave a slight edge around each card when cutting the laminate sheet so that they don’t fall apart.
How To Play Earth Day Memory (Concentration)
- Shuffle the cards – you can use just one single set (8 pairs of cards) for younger children, through to all of them for older kids and adults.
- Place them face down in a grid formation across the table or floor. A grid makes remembering where cards are easier – or you could place them more haphazardly if you prefer!
- Players take it in turns to flip over two cards and see if they match. If they do, they keep the pair of cards and take another turn.
- If they don’t match, the cards are flipped back over and the next player has their turn.
- Once all the cards have been matched, the game is over, and the person with most pairs, wins!
Benefits of Memory Match Games
- The rules are very simple for even the youngest of children (suitable for ages 3 and up).
- The game helps to develop concentration skills.
- The game helps to develop memory skills.
- Can help with visual discrimination which is the ability to see differences and similarities – such as difference in size and shape.
- Games help to develop turn taking, and how to be a gracious winner or loser!
- Depending on the theme, the game can help with color recognition, letters, words, numbers, shapes, and in turn improving literacy and numeracy.
- Themes like Earth Day and the images on the card are also a great opportunity to talk about the subject as you play.
Download Earth Day Memory Game Cards
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for more awesome printables and products!
More Earth Day Printables
Looking for other Earth Day printables to download? Right-click and open these ones in a new tab to check out next:
- Free Printable Earth Day Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Earth Day Word Search
- Free Printable Earth Day I Spy
Over the years I’ve created a variety of printables – for crafts, parties, organisation, celebrations like Halloween, Christmas, and more! Here are 100+ Free Printables to download and use!
The free printable(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. Please read the full Terms and Conditions. You are welcome to print these free printables at a print shop if you don’t have a printer at home, however, some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colours may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest; as well as share it on your blog/website with a link back to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF on social media or on your blog/website. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform that you hang out on, and follow me: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest! Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so I can find you! I hope you enjoy these free printables!