Looking for an easy winter papercraft project? Download our Free Printable Build A Gonk template and get started today!
This charming little gonk (AKA gnome) is fun for all ages to make, and helps to improve cutting and pasting skills while having some festive Holiday fun!
Don’t have time for this printable now? Be sure to tap the heart icon in the bottom right of the screen to save this post for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Free Printable Build A Gonk
Introducing – Gordon the Gonk!
I’m sure you’ve seen those cute little characters, with their noses poking out over their long beards and tall hats, that seem to be everywhere at this time of year.
I’ve always called them gonks, you may call them gnomes! And they are SO cute!
I thought it was high time that I made a buildable gonk template, so here is Gordon the Gonk!
If you are a regular on my blog you’ll notice that my buildable characters have a cute chubby style.
And if they are animals they are anthropomorphic, which basically means that they have human traits – like standing on two legs instead of four.
I introduced my cute chubby roly-poly Christmas and Winter characters several years ago, and the set currently includes 22 characters.
I’m continuing to add new characters that I hope you will love as much as the others!
Gonks stem from Nordic and Scandinavian mythology. They are meant to be a mix of a gnome and a hobgoblin. In the original folklore, these curious little creatures were said to take a liking to barns or houses in the colder seasons. If families treated them well, they were said to protect the family and give them good luck. If the family did not respect the mighty little gonk, then they were said to play tricks on the family! Source
This post is part of Create the Holidays – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Look at the previous years here: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012.
The Christmas and Winter buildable characters are part of a wider set of other characters that are a fun free activity to do at home, in an activity group or club, during homeschool, or in the classroom!
I’ve provided the links to all of my other buildable characters at the end of this blog post.
I’ve created two sizes for this cute free printable paper Gonk:
- Regular size, with all of the pieces on one sheet of paper and creates a character around 4″/10cm tall. (This is the image above – it is not the download though!)
- Large size with the pieces spread over several sheets. This creates a character around 12″/30cm tall.
Where Are The Downloads?
- The two sizes are two separate downloads.
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box.
- Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- I’ve provided two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″) – use the size that is appropriate for your printer.
The free printable Christmas papercraft is really fun – not just for kids, but for adults too!
I love constructing buildable characters after I’ve designed them! A digital representation is shown below.
How To Use the Build a Gonk Printable
The regular-size printable is for children that are more skilled at cutting.
The large size should be a lot easier for younger children.
Or you can cut them out for them.
Of course, you know your children, so will know what suits them best!
Included in this printable paper Gonk craft are the following pieces:
Once cut, place the pieces in the correct order to figure out where everything goes before sticking them in place.
You can stick the pieces together with a glue stick, or sticky tape.
I like using this roller glue as it is so easy to use and has less sticky mess!
For an extra crafty dimension, why not mount the character onto a larger piece of paper and use other craft materials to embellish it?
For example, glitter, furry fabric, craft foam, or tissue paper to name a few.
Other Ways To Use This Printable!
- You can use a laminator and laminate the pieces if you like and use them over and over again.
- Why not use split pins to construct the characters instead of glue so that the character becomes moveable!
- Or you could use popsicle sticks and regular size characters to make little puppets for winter role-playing or storytelling.
- You could attach the characters to some ribbon or string and hang them as bunting around the room for a holiday party!
- Or why not number each of the pieces and turn it into a fun game with dice? Throw the dice and each time a number is rolled, you take that piece – the first one to complete their character is the winner!
- Most of all, just have fun with this winter printable!
Download your chosen printable from the list further down the page (they’re surrounded by a purple box), and print onto thick paper or thin card. Cut the pieces out, then build a Gonk (or a Gnome)!
Handy Crafting Supplies (on Amazon) to Build-a-Gonk
It’s always useful to have some basic art supplies on hand to use with my free printables. You don’t need all the things on my suggested craft supplies list, but I wanted to share some of my Amazon favorites with you.
If you are short on space to store stuff, why not invest in a craft tote to keep everything together and stash away when not in use? There are many different sizes and styles, so buy one (or two) to suit your needs. I have a couple of these totes just for pens and pencils!
Other Christmas & Winter Characters in This Series
For added fun, you could mix up the different elements to create completely new characters!
Free Printable Build A Gonk Downloads
Download Printable Gonk/Gnome Template (Large Size)
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Download Printable Gonk/Gnome Template (Regular Size)
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for more awesome printables and products!
Printable Christmas Escape Rooms
Escape Rooms have exploded in popularity over the past few years, but why not bring the experience to your home this Christmas with a printable Escape Room?
The games can be printed and set up in just 20 minutes so you can get on with the fun.
Christmas Party Game Ideas!
In fact, at just $49 you save 60% – that’s a discount of $76, to be precise. Amazing value!
The four kits included in the box are (which you can buy individually if you prefer):
- Envy Murder Mystery – A 1920’s Gatsby-style murder mystery game of debaucherous luxury and deadly feuds. Get ready for a night of velvet gloves, blood-stained.
- Lost Mummy – Get ready to unearth Egypt’s ancient secrets as your crew investigates the mystery of the Lost Mummy.
- Rebel Revolt Spy Mission – Your crew of specialists will need their wits about them if there’s any chance of breaking into the evil government’s W.A.R. facility.
- Escape Room Z – Your living room’s about to be invaded by the living dead. What do they want? Your pizza of course…
But that’s not all! You’ll also get these bonuses:
- The Christmas Party Pack– a limited-time bonus kit instantly decks your halls in festive, peppermint mocha style. Just print a few charming table decorations for serious holly jolly vibes.
- Bonus Card Game – made by gamers, for gamers! (You can even make your own!) Make sure to grab your Christmas-exclusive extras before they disappear into the mist…
- Christmas Treasure Maps – you can create a charming scavenger hunt where X marks the spot! Use it to add an extra dash of mystery to your holiday celebrations…
Other Buildable Characters!
I have lots of other buildable characters that you may like to download. These links open in the same tab/window.
The Create the Holidays series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays!
You can check out Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) from 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013, and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!
The free printables are in PDF format and can be opened with the free-to-use Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF Reader). If the download is a Zip File, it can be downloaded with WinZip, WinRar, or other software typically bundled on computers. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. Please read our full Terms and Conditions. You are welcome to print these free printables at an online print shop or print shop if you don’t have access to a printer; however, some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colors may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest, and on your blog/website with a link to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF on social media or your blog/website. If you use any of our printables, it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform you hang out on, and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so we can find you!