As much as I love Autumn, with the sun we’re continuing to receive in the UK, I’m clinging onto the Summer! Hubs, the boy and I had a Late Summer Barbecue, just the three of us, a couple of weekends ago and one of the dishes I made up was a Five Bean Salad (six, if you count sweetcorn as a bean!), which I served covered in a Chilli Citrus Dressing. Both hubs and I thought it was delicious, and the salad lasted us a good few days! I’m so used to catering for more than 3 people that old habits are hard to break when it’s just the three of us :P
To make this salad, I just picked 5 different cans of beans from the supermarket shelves – so you could pick whichever ones you like best :) Here are the ingredients that I used to make my Five Bean Salad with Chilli Citrus Dressing.
Five Bean Salad with Chilli Citrus Dressing
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 400g can adzuki beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 400g can black eyed beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 400g can butter beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 x 325g can sweetcorn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large bunch, fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange, lime and lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
To make the dressing, I used a cup of citrus juice – using juice from that I squeezed from fresh orange, lime and lemon. I had various sized citrus fruit sitting on the counter that needed to be used! Just use any ratio of citrus juices that you like! I then whisked the juices with the olive oil. You may need to balance the flavour, so add more olive oil or juice to your liking.
I added the chilli, garlic and a pinch of salt and black pepper to the dressing and gave another whisk. Again, adjusting taste if needed. Set to one side and assemble the rest of the salad.
Aside from a little dressing preparation and a small amount of chopping, this salad is very quick and easy to put together! Open each can of beans, drain and give a quick rinse and dump them all into a large mixing bowl.
Then, add the onions and give everything a good mix together.
Add the chopped parsley and mix through, before pouring over the chilli citrus dressing.
One final mix, and it’s ready to go! Eat as a meal in itself, or as a side dish!