I’ve got another recipe today that you could serve at a Halloween dinner – Chili Chicken & Pumpkin Stew!
Not only is October #CraftyOctober for me on my blog, it is also Crocktober organised by the original makers of the slow cooker – Crock-Pot. They asked some of their favourite bloggers to contribute some slow cooker recipes, and since I love cooking with mine, I said yes immediately when they asked me!
Check out the #Crocktober Link Party at the bottom of this post, where you can share your favourite slow cooker recipes!
What I love most about using a slow cooker is being able to throw everything into the pot, turn it on and forget about it for the day – or overnight! This recipe does require you to go back and add a couple of ingredients towards the end of the cooking time, but it’s hardly labour intensive!!
I marinated the chicken before cooking it – but only for 15 minutes whilst I prepped everything else – if you can leave it to marinate for a few hours, the flavours will be deeper.
Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Chili Chicken & Pumpkin Stew
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 30 minutes (+ 4 hours marinating time – optional if you’re pressed for time)
Cook time: 6 hours on high
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (around 600g), cut into 3 or 4 pieces each
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped (or leave the seeds in if you like it hot!)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium red onion, halved and finely sliced
- juice of 2 limes
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 450ml chicken stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100g green beans, topped and tailed
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- basmati rice, to serve
- sour cream or natural yoghurt, to serve – optional
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder and salt.
- Place the chicken into a bowl and rub the spice mixture into the pieces.
- Add the tomato purée , chopped chili pepper, garlic, red onion slices and lime juice. Mix everything together well. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes whilst you prepare all the vegetables, or if you have the time, marinate for 4 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to high. Place the pumpkin and sweet potato into the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken, plus any of the marinade left in the bowl.
- Pour over the chicken stock and canned chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 hours on high.
- Add the green beans and kidney beans and cook for a further hour.
- Serve on a bed of basmati rice topped with fresh coriander, lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream or natural yoghurt (optional)
Disclosure: I was sent a Crock-Pot Slow Cooker to develop recipes.
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!