I made these chickpea and cannellini bean burgers for the vegetarian barbecue we threw for the family recently.
With the ingredients gathered – pretty much store cupboard ingredients for me, it was time to get to work and make burgers from them!
After draining the beans, I mashed up about half of them and left the rest whole. I mixed the beans with fresh breadcrumbs, an egg, smoked paprika, garlic salt and finely sliced spring onions.
On reflection, I would probably mash up more, if not all of the beans next time so that they would hold together better than they did.
Once mixed altogether, I was able to make 4 burgers from them. I actually used my burger press – but they didn’t turn out very well, and I ended up balling them up again in my hands and making thicker burgers instead.
After oiling the grill, we placed the burgers down over the hot coals and then carefully turned them over after a few minutes. You can see where I was a little clumsy in their assembly and one burger ended up mainly on the coals!
All of the hiccups aside though, the burgers did taste really good! I served them with chilli mayonnaise and lettuce inside some thin buns.
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 egg
- 1-2 slices wholemeal bread, made into breadcrumbs
- ½tsp smoked paprika
- ½tsp garlic salt
- oil for brushing
- 4 bread rolls
- chilli or regular mayonnaise
- Mash up most of the chickpeas and beans, leaving a few whole. I do this in a food blender.
- Place the chickpeas, cannellini beans, spring onions, egg, breadcrumbs, smoked paprika and garlic salt into a bowl, then mix to combine.
- Divide into four portions and form each into a ball, before flattening slightly to make a patty.
- Brush a little oil on the outsides of the bean burgers.
- When ready to cook, brush some oil onto the grill and place the burgers on.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side until charred and hot through.
- Toast the bread rolls and serve the bean burgers on a roll with mayonnaise and lettuce.