The next dish at my Year of the Dragon Chinese Banquet was Chicken with Cashews. So quick to make and great texture contrasts with the soft chicken and toasted cashew nuts. Another recipe from Complete Chinese Cookery by Ken Hom.
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I’m so devoid of photos for this dish, that I’ll go straight into the ingredients and method if you’d like to print them out and try this dish for yourself!
Chicken with Cashews
- 450g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsps cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml groundnut (peanut) oil or vegetable oil, or water plus 2 tsps oil
- 50g roasted cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped spring onions to garnish
- Cut the chicken breasts into ½ inch cubes.
- Combine with egg white, cornflour and 1 teaspoon of salt and put in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a wok until it is very hot then add the 300ml oil. (If using water, see below.) When the oil is very hot immediately add the chicken pieces, *stirring vigorously to keep them from sticking. After about 2 minutes, when the chicken has turned white, quickly drain it in a stainless steel colander set over a bowl and discard the oil(/water).
- If you are using water instead of oil, bring it to a boil in a pan, add the chicken and follow from the asterisk in step 3 above.
- Clean the wok out and reheat until very hot and add the 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the cashew nuts and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the rice wine and soy sauce.
- Add back the chicken and stir fry the mixture for another 2 minutes.
- Place on a serving dish and garnish with spring onions. Serve at once.