I’ve shared several Mexican/Tex-Mex recipes over the years, but have never written a recipe for quesadillas. Time to rectify that! I made these tasty Chicken & Sweetcorn Quesadillas for dinner recently, and they were a hit. Served with the usual sides – guac, sour cream, and salsa they are filling enough to make a meal within themselves. Or you could make smaller ones to put on a platter for a Cinco De Mayo party.
Chicken + Sweetcorn Quesadillas
I’m all about meal prep these days, and whilst I didn’t cook everything in advance – I did chop and prep all the ingredients so all I would have to do on quesadilla night was cook.
Meal prep isn’t just about cooking all your meals ahead of time, but it can be as simple as chopping veggies, or marinating meat. I’ve found myself doing that for quite a few dishes lately, which expands my meal prep recipe repertoire!
So for these quesadillas, I chopped the onion and peppers into small pieces; removed the corn from the cob; chopped the chicken into strips; and grated the cheese – I kept all these in tubs in the fridge. I also mixed the herbs and spices for the seasoning. That may have taken me 15 minutes or so which I saved mid-week by having it all done. I was then able to cook the filling on the stove top, assemble the quesadillas and cook in the oven. You can also fry them in a large pan, or pop them under the grill.
Traditionally, Mexican quesadillas are made with corn tortillas and filled with Oaxaca cheese, a Mexican stringy cheese. They are cooked on a comal (a cast iron pan) without the addition of any oil. Whilst cheese is the most common filling, other ingredients can be added like chorizo, pork, vegetables, or chicken to name but a few.
- For the Filling
- oil for sautéeing
- 1 medium onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into small pieces (I used half red, half green, as it was in the fridge!)
- 1 corn on the cob, kernals shaved off
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size strips
- For the Taco Seasoning
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion granules
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- To Assemble
- 300g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 large flour or corn tortillas
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/Gas 6
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onions, pepper, and corn in a little oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken to the pan, and brown off, then add the taco seasoning and mix well until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Lay a tortilla onto a baking sheet.
- Spoon a generous amount of the filling across one half of the tortilla and cover with some of the grated cheese.
- Fold the other half over, and press down.
- Repeat with the other tortillas and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the outside is crispy.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3, and serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
Please feel free to share this Chicken & Quesadillas Recipe by using the social buttons on the side or bottom of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or on Bloglovin’ so you don’t miss out!