Another lower calorie curry recipe for you today, coming in at 294 calories per portion (without rice). I do enjoy a korma – it’s a very mild creamy curry, that usually has coconut in it, that is not in this recipe, but there is still a lovely creaminess to it. I’ve tweaked the Hairy Dieters recipe (again, I always tweak a recipe!!)
Because of the lack of coconut, I was able to persuade my hubby to try it – he hates coconut with a passion!!!
A little advance preparation is involved as you need to marinate the chicken for 2 – 6 hours. I prepped mine at lunch time to be ready for the evening.
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
- 25g low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 400g onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 12 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- ¼ tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 300ml cold water
- 3 tbsp double cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander, chopped, to garnish
- Place the chicken pieces in a plastic or glass container. Sprinkle with black pepper and pour the yoghurt over. Stir until mixed well and cover. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes, but ideally you want to leave it marinating for 2 - 6 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally so that they don't stick and burn.
- Stir in the crushed cardamom seeds, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cloves, chilli powder and bay leaves. Cook the spices with the onion mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so that the spices don't burn. Burnt spices will leave a bitter taste to the curry.
- Stir in the flour, sugar and salt, then add the water, stirring continuously. Bring to a simmer and then cook for 10 minutes. Stirring from time to time.
- Add the chicken pieces and the cream and cook for 10 - 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with plain boiled rice (please adjust your calories, if you are counting them!) and sprinkle with coriander.