This Buzz Lightyear Christmas Ornament Craft is made with construction paper and is so easy to assemble using a free printable template! Turn a classic Mickey-Head shape into Toy Story’s Buzz and hang the ornament on your Christmas tree!
This Disney • Pixar Toy Story craft is fun for all ages. Read on to find out how to make this awesome Buzz Lightyear decoration!
This post is part of Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog!
Buzz Lightyear Christmas Ornament Craft
Gosh, I remember when I saw the very first Toy Story movie (way back in the mid-90s!) and my little cousin was obsessed with Buzz Lightyear! I think that particular Christmas it was the number one best selling toy wasn’t it?
He famously said, “To infinity, and beyond!” and I think this awesome handmade ornament deserves a place on your Disney-theme Christmas tree!
There are plenty more Disney ornament crafts on their way to The Purple Pumpkin Blog, so make sure you are part of The Pumpkin Patch (details below) so that you don’t miss the tutorials when they are released!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
Full instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post, but here is a quick outline so you know what to expect from the craft.
I highly recommend always reading everything all the way through before starting any project so you understand all the steps required.
A few simple craft supplies are needed for this paper ornament:
- Construction Paper or Cardstock in the following colors:
- Red (Fine) Glitter (optional)
- Blue (Fine) Glitter (optional)
- Green (Fine) Glitter (optional)
- Gold (Fine) Gitter (optional)
- School Glue/White PVA Glue
- Glue Stick
- Black String or Ribbon – for hanging your completed ornament
- Laminator – optional, but you can laminate your ornaments if you wish
- Buzz Lightyear Ornament Template – as with [most of] my free printables, this is available in two different sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″). You’ll find the downloads below, surrounded by a purple box.
How To Make Buzz Lightyear Ornaments
I’ve got several step-by-step photos to guide you through making these Disney ornaments, and there is also a slideshow video over on my YouTube channel that you can watch and save to your Playlists for future reference. (Don’t forget to subscribe while you are there!)
Assembling your Toy Story ornament is really easy – here is how you do it!
Simply print the template onto the corresponding colored paper or card and cut the pieces out. Alternatively, you could print onto regular paper and trace around the pieces onto the colored card, especially if you are worried that it won’t go through your printer.
Assemble Buzz’s wings first by using a glue stick to attach the purple piece to the white wings, and then sticking the green end parts in place.
If you are using glitter in your ornament (let’s face it, Christmas ornaments need to have a glittery sparkle!) then apply white school glue to every other chevron and sprinkle over white glitter and shake off the excess.
Then add glue to the other chevrons and sprinkle red glitter, again shaking off the excess. Finally, add red glitter to the little triangle areas on the wingtips and leave all to dry.
Onto the head/body part of the decoration. Glue the purple semi-circle piece to the top, and then the two purple strips just underneath.
The stick green console panel in place. (Sorry, the photos are a bit out of sync.)
Time for more glitter! Add blue, green, and red glitter to the trio of buttons. Red glitter to the round button on the right, and then gold to the panel above it. You can add glitter wherever you like!
Stick the blue Space Ranger badge onto the ornament, and then space the ears out evenly and glue in place. Finally, stick the ornament to the wings.
Just one more step which is sticking a loop of black string or ribbon to the back of the ornaments. Leave everything to dry completely before hanging on your tree!
If you want the decorations to last longer, you could run them through a laminator before attaching the hanging loop. When cutting out after laminating the ornaments, make sure you leave a slight edge so that the laminating sheets do not come apart!
More Disney Ornament Crafts
Here are some other Disney character ornaments for you to make after this one!
- Frankenstein Mickey & Minnie Paper Ornaments Craft
- Handmade Maleficent Ornament | Disney Paper Craft
- Mickey Mouse Pumpkin Ornament Craft
There are more Toy Story character ornaments on their way! Look out for Green Alien, Woody, and Jessie.
Download Buzz Lightyear Template
- Free Printable Toy Story Ornament Template – Buzz Lightyear – A4 Size
- Free Printable Toy Story Ornament Template – Buzz Lightyear – US Letter Size
Downloads open in new tab/window
- Construction Paper or Cardstock in the following colors: Green, White, Blue, Purple, Black, White
- Gold, Red, Blue, and Green Fine Glitter (optional)
- Black String or Ribbon
- White School Glue (PVA Glue)
- Glue Stick
- Laminator & Laminating Sheets (optional)
- Download and print out the Buzz Lightyear ornament template onto corresponding colored papers or cardstock (Link in the blog post). Cut out and set aside.
- Start with the wings and use a glue stick to attach the purple piece onto the white piece, and the green tips.
- Add white school glue and red and white glitter to the chevrons on the wings, and red glitter to the triangles. Shake off the excess and leave to dry.
- Using a glue stick again attach the purple top piece and the two purple stripes.
- Then add the green console piece, the blue Star Command badge, and the black piece at the bottom.
- Time for more glitter - purple on the stripes, blue, green, and red on the buttons, and gold too. Use the photos as a guide. Leave to dry.
- Evenly space the Mickey ears at the top and stick in place, then stick the wings to the rest of the ornament.
- Finally, form a hanging loop with a piece of string or ribbon and stick to the back of the ornament.
- If you want, you can laminate the ornaments so that it lasts longer. Before attaching the loop, run it through a laminator and cut away the excess. Make sure you leave a slight edge as you cut it out so that the laminating sheets don't fall away! Attach the loop to back.
- Hang your Buzz Lightyear ornament on your Christmas tree!
The Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays! You can check out Create the Holidays from 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!