- 750g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- handful cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 250g crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 50ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g Gruyère cheese, grated
- butter to grease the dish
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease an ovenproof roasting dish (or disposable like I do at Christmas time!) with some butter.
- Boil the sprouts in salted boiling water for about 3-4 minutes, drain and put in the greased dish. Add the chesnuts
- Fry the bacon pieces until crisp.
- Make the sauce by mixing together the crème fraîche, mustard and milk.
- Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese and cooked bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Can be made in advance and cooked when needed.
- Turn this dish vegetarian by omitting the bacon.