These Black Forest Cookies are loaded to the brim with chocolate chips and maraschino cherries and are a unique twist to holiday cookies! Chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven, and when baked into a cookie, you are in for a real treat!
This post is part of Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Black Forest Cookies
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Black Forest Gâteau is one of my absolute favorite desserts – ever since I was a kid! The combination of chocolate and cherries is just divine, and if you are a fan of this combo, then you have to make these Black Forest Cookies!
Making a gâteau is a labor of love, but these cookies are an absolute breeze in comparison! So when the hankering for a chocolate cherry dessert hits, bake a batch of these cookies!
Stock up the cookie jar with these delicious cookies or make them for a cookie swap or as a yummy homemade gift. Place the cookies in a cookie box or tin and wrap up with a bow.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may already have some of the basic ingredients for this recipe – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon if available online.
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract – use good quality vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference!
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda – also known as Bicarbonate of Soda.
- Maraschino Cherries – you could use dried cherries in this recipe if you prefer.
- Chocolate Chips
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog! I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chocolate & Cherries
The hero ingredients in this recipe are chocolate and cherries, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chocolate Cherry Cream Birthday Cake
- Black Forest Pavlova
- Chocolate and Cherry Cupcakes
- Black Forest Cupcakes
More Cookie Recipes
Looking for more cookies to make? Check these recipes out next:
Black Forest Cookie Recipe Tips
- Before adding the chopped cherries to the dough, make sure they are patted well dry.
- The dough is more like a very thick batter, rather than a dough you can roll out.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the dough evenly onto a cookie sheet for baking.
- Press some chocolate chips and chopped cherries into the dough balls before baking – this adds even more chocolate and cherry goodness!
Black Forest Cookies are a great holiday cookie to make. The dough can be made in advance (up to 3 days) and stored in the fridge until ready to bake. Simply bring the dough to room temperature (about an hour) before baking – perfect for the busy season.
You can also bake and freeze the cookies. Allow them to cool before placing them onto a cookie sheet and into the freezer. When frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe bag or container for storing for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge or countertop overnight.
How Do I Make Black Forest Cookies?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup drained and finely chopped maraschino cherries, divided
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Using an electric stand or handheld mixer, place the butter and brown sugar in a bowl and beat until combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Sift or whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to form a thick batter.
- Fold in ½ cup of the chopped cherries and ½ cup of the chocolate chips into the batter until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure out 12 balls of dough and place them on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using the remaining ¼ cup each of cherries and chocolate chips, press into the outside of the cookie dough balls.
- Bake for 14 minutes.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Oven Roasted Artichokes
- Main Dish: One-Skillet Honey Applesauce Pork Tenderloin
- Side Dish: Apple Butternut Squash Casserole
- Side Vegetable: Simple Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Beverage: Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktail with Citrus Vodka & Lime
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!
The Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays! You can check out Create the Holidays from 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!