I remember making these sorts of paper lanterns when I was in primary school! They’re easy and fun to make, and if you make lots of them, they look great hung upon some string spanning across the room – a perfect decoration for Chinese New Year.
I have made these Chinese paper lanterns in 4 different designs, and in two sizes, so you can mix and match as much as you wish.
Chinese Paper Lanterns
You will need…
- First cut the lantern handle from the printable, then the leftover red strip.
- Fold the paper in half, and using the guidelines, cut along them, to the gold band.
- Unfold, and turn over to the blank side. Apply double sided sticky tape, or glue to the bottom ends.
- Fold around and stick into place. Gently push down to fan out the lantern.
- Apply tape or glue to each end of the handle and stick in place.
I thought that describing how to make these might be a bit tricky to understand, so I’ve made a quick video to demonstrate. You can watch the regular speed version over on YouTube.
Please feel free to share this post by using the social buttons at the end of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or on Bloglovin’ so you don’t miss out!
The document(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use.
Printables created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog are for personal use only and not for resale. If you wish to link to, pin or share my printables, you are welcome to do so as long as a link back to the blog post is shown and the watermarks are kept intact. Colours may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Just leave me a comment, here on my blog, or on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Pinterest! I hope you find them useful!
This post contains affiliate links.