My mum requested cupcakes for our Diamond Jubilee Big Lunch and of course these were going to be made without saying!
I decided on making some lemon cupcakes, topped with lemon buttercream icing and a raspberry on top – lemon raspberry cupcakes! However, on looking at the recipe that I was going to use, I thought it looked a little unbalanced as far as the ingredients was concerned. Having already had several meltdowns on my party baking day, I decided to go to my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe and tweak that to make lemon cupcakes instead, substituting the normal vanilla extract for lemon juice. I didn’t colour my buttercream, but you can if you like.
Here’s my batch before they went in the oven – fingers crossed that these would work out…after the day I had, had, if these had failed I was going to hang up my bakers hat!
I was more than pleased when they came out just perfectly, and was chipper once more about my baking skills. I proceeded to make a lemon buttercream which I tweaked with lemon juice to taste (I always taste as I cook) so even though recipe says 2 – 4 tablespoons lemon juice, you may need more or less according to your taste.
I swirled the buttercream on top of each cupcake, and then added a raspberry to the centre. To finish off, I had some little ‘Queen’s Diamond Jubilee’ flags that came free with a magazine that got poked in, and they were then wrapped in some cardboard cases that also came free with the magazine. I’ve never used those sorts of wrap-around cases before and I LOVED them! Going to have a go at making my own some time!
With all the cupcakes made, they went into my vintage cupcake stand, and the sign was very apt 😉
They were lovely, light and fresh, the lemon cuts through the sweetness of the buttercream, and the raspberry gave it a nice tang too. Next time I make these I’m going to put a lemon curd in the centre 😀
Makes 18 cupcakes
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 tbps lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 175C (155C fan/350F/Gas 4).
- Place 18 cupcake cases into a tin.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases.
- Bake for 20 mins until risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the tin, before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
To cover 18 cupcakes
- 350g unsalted butter, softened
- 700g icing sugar
- 2-4 tbsps lemon juice
- yellow food colouring (optional)
- Slowly beat the the icing sugar into the butter until well incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice to taste, it’s always hard to say how much you need.
- An electric whisk makes this job a lot easier!
- Add food colouring a drop at a time to get the desired hue.
- Pipe or spoon onto cupcakes.