I don’t want to get to ahead of myself and say that spring is on its way…but the sun is shining brightly, and it’s amazing what seeing that bright yellow disc in the sky can do for my mood!I’m feeling positively happy!
To echo this sunny mood I’m in, I’ve got a lovely drink to share from BRITA. You will know that we are long time users of BRITA filtered water, and not only drink “just water” but also use the filtered water in recipes; in this instance, making a tropical agua fresca with jewelled ice cubes.
What is Agua Fresca?
Agua Fresca is Spanish for cool water and is a non-alcoholic drink made with fruits, sugar and water. They are popular in Mexico, Central America, Caribbean and the USA and often sold by street vendors. (Thanks to Wiki!)
I haven’t heard of agua fresca before, but very glad I’ve been introduced to them. I left the ingredients to steep for 48 hours (as suggested in the recipe), which created a lovely depth of flavour with all the fruit. I am now inspired to make up some delicious fruity combinations for spring and summer!
The jewelled ice cubes were very simple to make, and made a pretty addition – moreover, once they melted into the agua fresca they were a yummy, bottom of the drink treat!
- 100 ml BRITA filtered water
- 20 pomegranate seeds
- 10 blueberries
- 400 ml coconut water
- 1 lime, washed and quartered
- 1⁄2 orange, washed and roughly chopped
- 50 g chopped fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons honey
- First, make the fruit ice cubes. Place the pomegranate seeds and blueberries in an empty ice cube tray, fill with BRITA filtered water and freeze.
- To make the agua fresca, place the lime, orange, mango and honey in a large jug and bash well with a wooden spoon to blend and release the juices.
- Add the coconut water and stir well.
- The drink can be refrigerated for up to 48 hours at this point.
- When ready to serve, strain the agua fresca into two glasses and add the BRITA fruit ice cubes.