I had some bell peppers in the fridge and wondered what I should do with them for dinner a few nights ago, and then thought to make a sauce with them – this is how I made my roasted pepper pasta sauce, which I served with wheat-free pasta.
- 1 each of red, yellow and green bell peppers
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- fresh basil
- Standing the peppers up, sliced down each side to get the four 'cheeks' of the pepper, and chop off the bases - this will leave the seeds attached to the stem :)
- Place the peppers, skin side up onto a baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Place in a hot (220-250C) oven for 20-25 minutes until they start to char. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool slightly before chopping into smaller pieces.
- Fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until they soften and then add the chopped roasted peppers.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, black pepper, dried rosemary and some chopped fresh basil.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Serve over your choice of pasta and sprinkle more fresh basil over the top.
Disclaimer: Please remember, I’m not a dietitian I follow and tweak recipes, or create my own. Calorie counts (if applicable) are worked out using resources online. Always check with your doctor before going on any weight loss programme.