Hubs was having a clear out of the kitchen cupboards and discovered a scone mix that we must have bought – since I had some leftover canned pumpkin and peaches after making my Pumpkin & Peach Puff Pastry Tarts I thought I’d combine everything and make Rock Cakes. Thriftiness at its best right?! This was a complete trial and error recipe that I made up to use these leftovers I had – my advice is to season the pumpkin with sugar and spices to taste, and err on the side of sweetness if you have a sweet tooth, as I thought the rock cakes could have done with a bit more sugar!
Pumpkin + Peach Rock Cakes
- 320g packet of scone mix
- 200g canned pureed pumpkin
- 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (a mixture of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves) (to taste)
- 2-4 tbsp soft brown sugar (to taste)
- 150g canned peaches, chopped into small pieces
- 50ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6 and grease a baking sheet
- In a bowl, mix the pumpkin with the spices and sugar – to taste really, which is what I did. The pumpkin is cooked! I found that the rock cakes needed more sugar than I allowed, so bear that in mind if you have a sweet tooth!
- Pour the scone mix into a bowl. Add the pumpkin and peaches and stir.
- Add the milk to form a sticky dough.
- Put spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. I got a baker’s dozen (13) out of my mixture, but it will depend on the size of your rock cakes!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
As well as sharing my ideas each day for my favourite time of the year, I’m also holding a #CraftyOctober Link Party for bloggers to share their Halloween posts. If you’re a blogger, then do check out the party – I can’t wait to see your posts!