Tomorrow we move house…a lot of stuff has been packed up for a while now – my house currently looks like a warehouse! It’s going to be busy, busy tomorrow, and even though we have professional movers to transport our stuff from one house to the other, by the time we are done, the last thing we’re going to want to do is start rummaging through boxes to find things we need for the first night (or even, first few days)
I remember moving from my old flat to here, and my friend helping me to make the beds – she said “where are the bed covers?” I said “I have no clue!” I’ve learned that lesson, so I’ve put together this list of things that I think will help you (and me!) to get through a hectic house move!
Here are things you may need when packing a first night box when moving house…
- Basic tools – screwdrivers, hammer, nails, screws, wrench, duct tape, measuring tape
- Bed linens (for each bed!) – sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, blankets + duvet and pillows
- Cleaning supplies – multipurpose cleaner, paper towels, bleach, j-cloth, rubbish bags
- Disposable plates, cutlery, glasses, napkins – who wants to wash up on the first night?
- Candles + matches – hopefully you’ll have electric, but just in case!
- Tea/coffee making facilities – kettle, tea bags, coffee, sugar, teaspoon, dried milk
- Notepad + pen
- Toilet paper
- Medicine – paracetamol, plasters + prescription drugs
- Non-perishable snacks + drinks
- Easy to make food – pasta sauce, noodles etc, if you don’t fancy cooking too much, or easier still…
- Take-away menus – yes, you could order online, but what if your internet isn’t up and running yet?!
- Cash – to tip the removal firm, to pay for a take-away
- Mobile phone + charger
- Electronic devices + chargers – iPad/Tablet/Laptops
- Toiletries – shower gel, hand soap, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Pet food + dishes
- Nightclothes + change of clothes/underwear
- Toys – for children + pets
- Valuables – jewellery, personal documents
- Bottle of bubbly – to toast the first night in your new home!
I hope I’ve covered all eventualities! Is there anything you’d add to this list?