I shared a recipe a few weeks ago for cheats jambalaya promising that I would make it from scratch…well, I have, and here is the recipe! (Works out at around 500 calories per portion. I also use a lot less rice than normal). If you are wondering where the celery is in my recipe – I leave it out – I can’t stand celery!
- 500g chicken thighs (skinless and boneless) cut into bite sized pieces
- 200g cooked and peeled prawns
- 100g chorizo, chopped
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chicken oxo cube dissolved in 250ml water
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- low/one cal oil spray
- Heat a large pan and spray with oil spray. Season the chicken with lots of black pepper and add to the pan. Cook until browned on all sides. Add the chorizo and stir. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Wipe out the pan with some kitchen paper and re-heat. Spray with oil spray and add the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the herbs and spices and stir.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, canned tomatoes and stir.
- Place the chicken and chorizo back in and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for a further 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve
Disclaimer: Please remember, I’m not a dietician, I follow and tweak recipes, or create my own and work out the calorie content using resources online. Always check with your doctor before going on any weight loss programme.
I’m finding inspiration all over the web and pinning to my Low Calorie Recipes Board
Why not head over to Pinterest and follow me?