I shared a recipe from Marley Spoon earlier today for Anglo-Indian Pork Burgers with Roasted Carrots & Raita. In that post I wrote about the recipe box we received from Marley Spoon, so do pop over there to check that out. I promised I would share the second recipe that we cooked from the box, so here is the Honey & Mustard Chicken with Apple-Potato Salad.
Now, the original recipe called for two ingredients that I really do not like – celery, and fennel. So I left them both out of the finished dish. However, I have included them in this recipe, should you wish to include them.
This is a great summer barbecue recipe – but if you don’t want to fire up the coals, the chicken can be cooked in the oven. Or you could part cook the chicken in the oven, and finish off on the BBQ. Do what works best for you – but always make sure that the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
My husband and I prepared this meal together, as we did with the other one, and it was fun to work in the kitchen together. I took care of the salad prep – although, our salad was just potato, apple, and parsley – and making of the honey-mustard marinade (always good combo!). He prepped and cooked the chicken (and he did the washing up too!)
I love potato salad, especially when it is a warm potato salad, and the addition of the apples, gave it a nice sweet crunch. Using fresh parsley in salads is a favourite thing of mine to do as well, so I would be inclined to bung another handful of that it! Since I don’t like celery, I didn’t miss it not being in the salad, and we still got the satisfying crunch from the Granny Smith apple.
The honey-mustard on the chicken drumsticks was very tasty – a barbecue winner in my opinion! This would also work great on chicken thighs, and I think on chicken breast kebabs too.
Some of the prep photographs are below, with the recipe to print out underneath that.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 500g new potatoes, halved (or quartered if they are large)
- 28g British honey
- 40g wholegrain mustard
- 3 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 20g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, and chopped into 1cm chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, havled lengthwise, and cut in half again to form 4 wedges
- 30g mayonnaise
- 15ml white wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat your BBQ or oven to 240C/220C Fan/Gas 9.
- Using a sharp knife, score the chicken to the bone 2-3 times. Line a roasting tray with tin foil, transfer the chicken to the roasting tray, season with salt and pepper and precook for 10 minutes.
- Place the chopped new potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave in the colander to release some steam, set to one side.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix the honey with the mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil, season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the BBQ/oven, spoon the marinade over the chicken, and return for another 15 minutes, until the chicken us cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Place the celery, parsley, and apple into a large bowl.
- Toss the fennel in 1 tbsp olive oil, and some salt and black pepper. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until charred and cooked through.
- For the salad dressing, mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, and 1 tbsp of olive in a small bowl.
- Add the dressing and cooked potatoes to the bowl of celery, parsley, and apple. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve the salad alongside the chicken, and charred fennel.