As a girl with Greek-Cypriot heritage, there is only one cheese that matters… halloumi! I’ve been sent three recipes to try out, and this Halloumi Wrap is the first one that I will be sharing. It is so quick and simple, and is one of those foods you could easily make when camping, as the only thing that needs cooking is the halloumi cheese.
Halloumi is a semi-hard cheese, traditionally made from a mixture of sheep and goats milk. It has a salty flavour, and comes packed in brine. It’s become more popular in the UK over the past few years, and I love that I can now buy it in regular supermarkets, instead of having to head to one of the Greek shops in North London to buy it. It stores well, and can be frozen too. Because of its high melting point, it is great for grilling and frying. My personal favourite is slightly charred over hot coals, so this halloumi wrap would make a great vegetarian alternative to kebabs at a barbecue.
- 250g pack Cypriot halloumi, cut into 6 slices
- 4 brown, white or multi-seed tortilla wraps
- 80g rocket salad
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise, to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat a chargrill pan or the grill. Chargrill or grill the halloumi until golden brown – about 1
- minute per side. Alternatively, fry with a small drizzle of olive oil.
- Warm the wraps in a dry frying pan – or they may be eaten cold.
- Top each wrap with a handful of rocket salad, some chopped tomatoes and red onion.
- Break up the pieces of halloumi and share them between the wraps. Season with a little salt
- and pepper, add 2 teaspoons of Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise and drizzle with a little olive oil, if wished.
- Fold over the tortillas and serve.