Do you ever get those moments when you really fancy a certain food? Well, we did last night – for Chinese food. We’d been watching Gok’s Chinese on one of the food channels, and he was saying how Chinese food doesn’t have to be high in fat and other diet nasties – and it’s true, especially if you cook your own.
So, instead of nipping to the local takeaway, I rustled up a really tasty stir-fry using a new wok from Delimano I’d been sent to review. I based the recipe on a Kung Po Chicken recipe that I’ve cooked before, in that it used some similar flavourings, but was completely not the same… hence the name of this dish – Faux Po Chicken!
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
The 28cm CERAMICA® non-stick wok was really a delight to use, I could feel how non-stick it was as I was cooking this stir-fry and next time, I think I could get away with just a spray of oil rather than the amount I used. I am used to a huge wok (that I bought from Chinatown a few years ago) so this felt on the small side for me – that said however, I managed just fine cooking for my family. I can see this wok getting a lot of use in our kitchen!
The recipe I’ve shared below fed hubs and myself. The boy had a little bit, hence the 2-3 person serving.
Faux Po Chicken
- 350g chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp flaked dried chillies
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g stir-fry vegetables
- 150g egg noodles
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Place the chicken strips into a bowl and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and cornflour. Mix together to coat evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, ketchup and chilli flakes. Add the chicken strips to the marinade and leave for about 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook, place your wok (or large frying pan) onto the stovetop and heat until very hot.
- Add the vegetable oil and immediately add the marinated chicken strips. Stir-fry for 2 minutes until the chicken begins to turn opaque.
- Add the vegetables and stir-fry for a further 3-4 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions (generally a few minutes in boiling water). Drain and toss with the sesame oil.
- Add the noodles to the chicken and vegetables and mix together.
- Serve immediately
Review Disclosure: I was sent this product to review. All thoughts are my own honest opinions.