Day 3 – Cook, Craft, Create: December 2012
Today I’ve got a delicious cookie recipe for you – double chocolate and almond – yum yum!
This recipe is so easy, even kids can make them…like my son is demonstrating here! (last week)
Double Chocolate & Almond Cookies
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 115g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (3½ oz) granulated sugar
- 100g (3½ oz) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g (7 oz) milk chocolate chips
- 100g (3½oz) blanched whole almonds, smashed into pieces inside a food bag with a rolling pin
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and bring together to form a dough, then add in the chocolate chips and smashed up almonds (you may find using your hands easier!)
- Form the dough into one or two log shapes about 3cm (1½") in diameter and roll up in some greaseproof paper. (Or to cook straight away, break off small pieces of dough, roll into balls and flatten onto a baking sheet)
- Put the dough log in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up - you can leave the dough for long (a day or two) if you need to, just allow to come to room temperature a little before slicing - I found that easier.
- When you are ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 160C/350F/Gas 4.
- Slice the dough into ½cm (¼") discs and place onto a baking sheet about 4cm (1½") apart
- Bake for 12-14 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Can be stored in an airtight container for 5-7 days