You can’t have a Greek Cypriot Meze without a village salad. It’s hard to dictate quantities, as it will depend on how many people you are feeding, so adjust to your needs. This made plenty of salad for 6 people – in fact, there was enough left over for a couple of days after too.
- 1 romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 beef tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded, halved and sliced
- 12 black kalamata olives
- 1 block feta cheese
For the dressing
- 1 part olive oil
- 1 part red wine vinegar
- garlic salt
- dried oregano
- Toss all of the salad vegetables together in a large bowl.
- Crumble the feta cheese on top and add the olives.
- Make the dressing to your taste, I generally do a ratio of 1:1 of oil and vinegar. Pour over the salad if you wish, or leave on the side for people to help themselves.