A classic winter stew is a perfect meal for cold nights when all you want is to snuggle under a duvet and stay warm! I have always loved “throw everything in the pot and forget about it for a couple of hours” recipes, and this winter stew fits the bill perfectly.
- 750g stewing beef, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsps of plain flour
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, chopped into chunks
- 200g swede, chopped into chunks
- 1 large carrot (about 150g) , chopped into chunks
- 1 large parsnip (about 150g) chopped into chunks
- 500ml beef stock
- 150ml full bodied red wine (optional)
- 3 tbsps of thyme (or add any other desired herbs
- to taste)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Jacket potatoes and steamed broccoli to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4 and make sure you have a large, ovenproof casserole dish to hand.
- Heat the oil in the casserole dish and fry the beef until brown, sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and all of the vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, wine and herbs, season to taste.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Serve with jacket potatoes and steamed broccoli.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gSodium: 0.7mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 6gSugar: 9g
Recipe and photo credit to villas.com where you can rent self-catering properties in the UK and overseas.