I’m delighted to be continuing my role as a British Lion Eggs Shortcut Eggpsert into 2015, and my first challenge has been set, to create a quick and healthy meal using eggs.
A really easy dish to make with eggs is a Spanish omelette, or, because I’m fancy, Tortilla Española. Traditionally, a Spanish omelette has eggs and potatoes, and occasionally onions (which is quite controversial, so I read!). However, with almost all recipes, there are deviations, and my Chorizo & Potato Tortilla Española is one of them.
I actually used some chorizo-style sausages that we had in the fridge, which required cooking before making my tortilla, but you can of course use regular chorizo which is cooked and ready to go. The potatoes also need to be boiled first, but, if you are really pressed for time, you could used tinned new potatoes if you wanted to.
A tortilla Española is a perfect dish to make using leftovers too, making it a super speedy shortcut meal.
The Chorizo and Potato Tortilla Española can be served hot or cold, and makes a delicious light lunch with a fresh side salad. When it’s cold, it can be sliced very easily, and is a great picnic food.
You might also like to check out these 3 Tasty Tapas Recipes Using Olives
- 6 British Lion Eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 white onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g cooked new potatoes, cut into 5mm (approx) slices
- 400g cooked chorizo, cut into 5mm (approx) slices
- In a jug, beat the British Lion eggs with some salt and pepper. Set to one side.
- In a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and gently fry the onions and garlic clove until softened and starting to colour.
- Add a little more olive oil and add the sliced potatoes and chorizo, stirring for a few minutes to heat everything through.
- Spread all the ingredients evenly across the pan in a flat layer and pour over the beaten eggs, ensuring everything is covered.
- Cook for a few minutes until the eggs are set – you’ll see the sides starting to come away from the pan.
- Place under a hot grill to set the top of the tortilla, or if you wish, you can flip it over using the pan-plate-pan method to cook on the other side in the frying pan.
- Serve hot or cold with a fresh side salad.
Disclosure: I have been selected as a British Lions Eggs #ShortcutEggsperts blogger. I received compensation for the ingredients used in this post.