I made these quick and easy chocolate bird’s nests on the Saturday of the Easter weekend. You only need three ingredients – chocolate, shredded wheat and mini chocolate eggs – can’t get any simpler than that!
As you read through I’ll show you how I made these and you can also jump to the recipe to print it out using the Print Friendly button at the end of this post.
Place 12 fairy cake cases onto a baking tray.
Break up 4 shredded wheat biscuits into pieces and crumble up to resemble twigs.
Melt 200g of chocolate – I used a microwave in short bursts, but you could use a bowl placed over hot water on a stove. Do whichever works for you.
Add the broken up cereal to the melted chocolate and stir until well coated.
Spoon the mixture evenly between the fairy cake cases and make a well in the middle of each one.
I bought really little mini eggs, so used 5 – 6 for each nest. Regular sized mini eggs you may only get 3 – 4.
Place in the fridge to set for a few hours and when ready to serve, peel away the paper cases.
I bagged my chocolate nests in plastic food bags tied with green ribbon and [leftover] mini fuzzy chicks and gave away as gifts for Easter.
Just because Easter is over now, doesn’t mean you can’t make these any other time of the year! They would make fun little dessert for a kid’s party – could be dinosaur egg nests, or alligator egg nests…you could also use rice krispies or cornflakes instead of shredded wheat…enjoy and have fun making them!
Chocolate Bird’s Nests
- 4 shredded wheat biscuits
- 200g chocolate
- 48-72 mini chocolate eggs
- 12 fairy cake cases
- Place 12 fairy cake cases onto a baking tray.
- Break up the shredded wheat into pieces and crumble between your fingers to make the ‘twigs’
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Add the crumbled cereal to the chocolate and mix until well coated.
- Divide the chocolatey mixture between the fairy cake cases and make a little well in the middle of each one.
- Place 4-5 eggs in the well that you made – depends on the size of your eggs.
- Put the nests into the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
- When set, peel off the fairy cake cases to serve.