I’m (or should I say we, as the whole family are involved) are into the 4th week of following the Slimming World way of eating. I’m trying my best to stay on plan, and have been successful in doing so – I am still yo-yoing from week to week though, which is really grinding me down. I guess I have to accept that, that is the way my body works – years of dieting has done this to me. I know there are people out there who are against diets, and there is part of me that is too, because, if I am honest, in the long run they haven’t helped; but, I have to always try to lose weight, because I can’t cope with life at the size I am now.
What is great about Slimming World is that we are eating together as a family again, which we haven’t done for a long time – not regularly any way. And we are trying out different recipes each week too. At the moment I’m mainly finding them online and recreating them at home. This recipe for Apple Betty is one my husband found on the SW website, and made it for dessert one evening. I do have somewhat of a sweet tooth, so this was a welcome treat after dinner. There are Syns (2½ per serving) in this recipe which serves six.
There are, of course, things I think I would personally change if we made this again – I am always tweaking recipes!
- I would experiment with warming the yoghurt first, and then bringing the eggs to temperature in it – much like you would with milk and eggs when making a custard. I found that some parts of this was a bit too scrambled egg in texture for my liking.
- I would also be inclined to cook this in a bain marie, to set the egg and yoghurt mixture slowly.
- I would definitely add more cinnamon to the egg mix! I found that there wasn’t much flavour in that part at all.
- I’ve read online that some people found it too sweet. I didn’t think so, but then I have a sweet tooth!
If you’re following the Slimming World plan (and even if you’re not, the recipes are tasty) you’re going to want to make sure you’re following my blog, or subscribed so that you don’t miss out!
- 2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 50g sultanas or raisins
- 8 eggs
- 4 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g vanilla Müllerlight yogurt/or any Free vanilla yogurt
- Pinch of cinnamon, to dust
- Fat free natural fromage frais to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5.
- Arrange the apple slices in a 20cm flan dish and spinkle over most of the sultanas.
- Beat the eggs with the sweetener and vanilla extract, then add the yogurt and beat again.
- Pour the eggs over the apples and sultanas and let them sink in the fruit.
- Scatter over the remaining sultanas, dust with cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with fromage frais