I made these 40th birthday cupcakes for a friend’s 40th. The theme was blue, silver and music…
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties and celebrations (and for everyday treats!) for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes and decorated with a swirl of blue buttercream icing and silver edible glitter.
I then added ’40’ cut out from black sugarpaste/fondant, which I sprayed with silver food spray. I then piped on musical notes with black royal icing.
For the cupcakes[br]
- 335g unsalted butter, softened
- 335g caster sugar
- 335g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream icing
- 500g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- food colouring (optional)
- food glitter (optional)
- toppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175C/Gas 4.
- Place 24 cupcake cases into tins.
- Put all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 3 minutes until smooth, pale and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases. (see notes above)
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
To make the buttercream
- Add the softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
- Slowly sift in the icing sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the milk (or lemon juice) and vanilla extract. Then add a few drops of food colouring at a time to get the desired shade. Add some food glitter to the mix too.
- You should find that the buttercream will form stiff(ish!) peaks and can be used in a piping bag.
- Only decorate the cupcakes when they are completely cool.
- Place some of the buttercream icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle attached (don't overfill the bag) and pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with more food glitter or sprinkles.
- Add a topper if desired.