This Free Printable Max Reindeer Craftivity is a fun way for Grinch fans to spend a few hours! Children can practice their cutting and pasting skills by building the paper Max first and then fill in the writing prompt. Once completed, this Max from the Grinch craft would look awesome displayed on the wall or bulletin board.
This post is part of Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Free Printable Max Reindeer Craftivity
The Max Reindeer Craftivity is just one in a series of Winter & Christmas characters available for you to download – find links to them at the end of this post.
There are two parts to this project – building Max and then filling in the writing prompt section. Depending on your child’s age(s) you may have to help them with some aspects of the project.
If you’ve seen any of the movies or read the book, you’ll know that Max is The Grinch’s dog! He turns him into a reindeer by tying a stick to his head!
- As with [most of] my free printables, they are available in two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″) – download the size most suitable for your printer.
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
More Grinch Goodies!
- The Grinch Hot Mint Chocolate Bombs – Just 5 Ingredients!
- White Chocolate Flavored Green Grinch Fudge Recipe
- The Grinch Cupcakes for Christmas
Materials & Tools Needed
- Construction Paper or cardstock in the following colors: dark brown, light brown, white, yellow, and red, plus a backing paper color of your choice, we used red.
- Glue Stick or Roller Glue Tape
- Colored Pencils, Crayons, or Colored Markers
- Writing Pen or Writing Pencil
How To Build Max Reindeer
Reindeer Max has the following components and the printable gives you a guide as to what colors to use. However, you can use any colors that you like!
- Head, body, ears, eyes, antler, string bow, bell collar, bells.
- Writing Prompt Sheet – An act of kindness for the Grinch…
There are a few different ways you can build and use this free Max from The Grinch activity, which means you can get multiple uses from the same printable!
- Print the character template onto colored paper (or thin card that goes through your printer) and cut out the pieces to use in the craftivity.
- Print the character template onto white paper (or thin card that goes through your printer), cut, and color the pieces with markers, pens, or crayons before assembly.
- Print the character template onto white paper (or thin card that goes through your printer), cut and trace around onto colored construction paper then use those pieces to assemble Max. You may have to draw on some additional features with a black marker, such as the pupils of the eyes.
However you decide to print and cut out the pieces, the assembly remains the same – use the photos in this post as a guide to sticking everything together. You can use a glue stick or glue roller. These are my favorite glue rollers and they’re so much easier and less messy than a glue stick!
Some of the pieces for this papercraft take up a whole page, others do not. Where possible, I’ve made small items fill up a page and have a page with individual items (it will become more apparent when you download the file!). I have done this so that you can save on paper if you only want to make one of these characters, or if you want to make several – for example in a group or classroom.
After assembling Reindeer Max, glue it to the backing paper and cut around the outline leaving a half-inch border around the edges.
Max Reindeer Creative Writing Ideas
Now that you’ve assembled your paper dog, Max, it’s time to write!
Print the writing sheet and follow the writing prompt at the top: An act of kindness for the Grinch…
When the writing activity has been completed, color in the border.
If your child gets stuck on what to write, here are some prompts to get the ideas flowing. You can always print extra writing pages if they want to write more.
- Why should they be kind to the Grinch?
- What kind of things could they do to help him?
- Who else could they be kind to?
Assembling the Max Reindeer Craftivity
Stick the writing page onto a piece of backing paper (the same color as the character) and cut a half-inch border around the left, right, and bottom sides and a couple of inches at the top so that the character can be glued in place.
Grab the paper Max, you made earlier and stick it to the top of the writing sheet. Display where you like!
Additional Activity Idea!
Why not cut the pieces from craft foam and build a 3D relief of Max?
Using a black marker pen, you will have to draw on the details such as pupils in the eyes or other template designs.
It might be a good problem-solving activity for older children as they figure out how to build it from the template provided.
However you decide to use this Christmas kids’ activity, the important thing is to have some fun, and get creative – not only with the craft portion of the project but with the writing prompt too!
Download Free Printable Max Reindeer Craftivity Sheet
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for both premium and FREE printables that you won’t find on my main blog!
More Christmas & Winter Craftivities to Download
I mentioned how there are several characters in this series. As they are uploaded to my blog the links will appear below. Make sure you download them all so that you have the full set!
- Polar Bear
- Christmas Wreath
- Yeti (Abominable Snowman)
- The Grinch
- Cindy Lou Who
- Max Reindeer (The Grinch)
The Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays! You can check out Create the Holidays from 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!
The free printable(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. Please read the full Terms and Conditions. You are welcome to print these free printables at a print shop if you don’t have a printer at home, however, some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colors may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest; as well as share it on your blog/website with a link back to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF on social media or on your blog/website. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform that you hang out on, and follow me: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest! Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so I can find you! I hope you enjoy these free printables!