Here is a recipe for a delicious low calorie Chinese favourite – Sweet and Sour Pork.
Another easy to make dish, that’s all in the preparation by cutting your meat into strips, making the sweet and sour sauce, chopping the pineapple and vegetables, and boiling the noodles.
Even though I’m using one-calorie oil spray, I always get my wok hot before cooking so that everything cooks quickly. If needs be, I splash in a drop of water to ‘steam-stir-fry’ and stop things from sticking.
The veggies go in next, continually stirring around (adding another splash of water if necessary). Then the sauce gets added, and stirred until thickened.
Toss the pre-cooked noodles through the saucy meat and veg and divide between two serving dishes.
Enjoy your low-cal meal! We certainly did!
Sweet and Sour Pork with Egg Noodles
Serves 2 – 300 calories per serving
- 80g dried egg noodles
- one-calorie oil spray
- 250g lean pork, sliced into thin strips (or you can use the same amount of skinned chicken breast)(All visible fat removed)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper (colour of your choice), deseeded and cut into chunks
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 2 slices of canned pineapple in natural juices, cubed
- freshly ground black pepper
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp black rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice (from the can of slices above)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by mixing together all the ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat your wok or deep frying pan and spray with the oil spray. Add the pork strips and stir-fry for 4 minutes until cooked.
- Stir in the garlic, spring onions, carrot, bell pepper and sugar snap peas and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and stir in the sweet and sour sauce. Stir for about a minute whilst the sauce thickens. Season with black pepper.
- Stir through the cooked and drained egg noodles and divide between two serving bowls.