Make food fun for kids (and grown-ups!) at Halloween by turning regular tuna rolls into Tuna Monster Rolls! They are very simple to make, and really you can make them with any of your favourite sandwich fillings – I also made a Ham Monster Roll, as my son doesn’t like tuna! The recipe (or assembly instructions!) are down below for the tuna monster rolls. To make the ham ones, buy rounds of ham if you can, to resemble a tongue, or cut a square slice of ham to shape. Use olives for eyes instead of tomatoes (or not – it’s your monster roll – do as you wish!)
These are great to serve at a Halloween party, or lay out the ingredients for the kids, and they can create their own monster rolls!
- 4 soft bread rolls
- butter, for spreading
- 1 x 160g can of Princes Sandwich Tuna, drained
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 cheese slices
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- grated carrot or salad cress (optional)
- 8 cocktail sticks
- Halve the rolls and spread with butter. Top with lettuce leaves.
- In a bowl, mix together the tuna with the mayonnaise. Add in spring onions if you like. Mix well till combined - you can use more or less mayo according to your personal preference.
- Cut each slice of cheese in half, and cut triangles along the edge to form the "teeth".
- Lay one slice of the cheese "teeth" on top of the lettuce.
- Divide the tuna between the four rolls.
- Top with another set of cheese "teeth", and close the roll.
- Skewer the tomatoes with a cocktail stick and poke into the roll. If giving these to children, you could cut the cherry tomatoes in half and rest on top of the rolls instead.
- Add lettuce, carrot, or salad cress hair -it's your monster, do what you wish!
Crafty October is a month long series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, where I share an idea a day for Halloween + Autumn. All ideas for Crafty October 2015 are here. And if you are a blogger and would like to share your ideas, check out the Crafty October 2015 Blogger Linky which is running until 31st October 2015.
Disclosure: I was provided with the ingredients to make this recipe.