Welcome to Day 55 of 100 Days of Disney here on The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Be sure to check out all of the other posts in this series, and if you would like to share your own Disney blog posts or pictures, make sure you check out the #100DaysOfDisney Link Party!
Today’s Disney movie is my childhood favourite – Robin Hood. I remember watching it all the time on video when I was a child. I loved singing along, and the comedy of it. This for me is a true Disney Classic!
All the cast are animals – Robin Hood and Maid Marian are foxes, Little John is a brown bear, Friar Tuck is a badger, Prince John is a lion and the Sheriff of Nottingham is a wolf. They are joined by rabbits, turtles, chickens and vultures to tell the story of Robin Hood
Everyone knows the story of Robin Hood right? The outlaw who steals from the rich to give to the poor? Well that’s exactly what happens in the plot of this Disney movie!
I found a trailer for the VHS release of Robin Hood on YouTube
And the song Robin Hood and Little John Running Through The Forest – my favourite!
Statistics & Trivia…
- released in 1973
- re-released in 1982
- 21st animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series
- As the film was allotted a small budget, the artists referenced footage from previous animated features. A dance sequence in the film was traced from sequences originally produced for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Jungle Book, and The Aristocats.
- Although, several of the voice-actors utilized were British, the decision was made to cast quite a number of American character actors in the traditional medieval roles.
- The characters of the Sheriff, Friar Tuck, Nutsy, and Trigger were all voiced by actors known for doing Westerns. This is because at one point in the production the setting was the Old West.
- Premiered at the famed Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
- Brian Bedford as Robin Hood (a fox)
- Monica Evans as Maid Marian (a fox)
- Phil Harris as Little John (a bear)
- Roger Miller as Alan-a-Dale (a rooster)
- Andy Devine as Friar Tuck (a badger)
- Peter Ustinov as Prince John and King Richard (lions)
- Terry-Thomas as Sir Hiss (a snake)
- Carole Shelley as Lady Kluck (a chicken)
- Pat Buttram as The Sheriff of Nottingham (a wolf)
- Ken Curtis and George Lindsey as Nutsy and Trigger, respectively (vultures)
- John Fiedler and Barbara Luddy as Friar Tuck’s Sexton and his wife, respectively (church mice)
- Billy Whittaker, Dana Laurita and Dori Whittaker as Skippy, Sis, and Tagalong, respectively (rabbits)
- Richie Sanders as Toby (a turtle)
- Barbara Luddy as Mother Rabbit
- Candy Candido as the Captain of the Guard (crocodile)
- J. Pat O’Malley as Otto (a dog)
Why I Love Robin Hood…
- Robin Hood – he’s a fox for a start, and he’s so handsome ;) Plus he’s the swashbuckling hero!
- Little John – he’s like Baloo (from Jungle Book) but with clothes on :P
- Lady Kluck – Maid Marian’s attendant is hilarious – she’s so boisterous and gives as good as she gets!
- The Whistle Stop song – come on, whistle along!
- The classic story – I love the story of Robin Hood, he’s the ultimate good guy!
What’s your childhood favourite Disney movie?
Day 55 of #100DaysOfDisney is done – 45 to go!
Come back tomorrow for another Disney related blog post!
Posts in the #100DaysOfDisney Series…
Disney Make It Monday | Tasty Tuesday | Wednesday Around The World | Theme Park Thursday | Disney Fashion Friday & Disney Merchandise | Saturday Night at the Disney Movies | Disney Sunday Sounds