Last year, I went to my first blogging conference – BritMums Live, where I met lots of bloggers, made a fab new bestie (Sam over at DreamingOfWDW), chatted to lots of brands, met the inspirational Katie Piper, watched as bloggers picked up a BiB (I was shortlisted in the awards last year, didn’t make the cut this year!), attended workshops, learned lots, was completely inspired and staggered home with a goodie bag full of lots of stuffs!
I wasn’t sure if I would be able to go this year, but, guess what? I now am! Yay! I’m so excited as I took so much away from BritMums Live in 2013, and I hope that by going back, a not-so-new blogger, I’ll be able to see things in a completely different way.
I wanted to join in with the Linky over on the BritMums Blog to introduce myself to new bloggers that don’t know me and my blog, and to ‘meet’ some of the bloggers that I may not know about yet too!
So without further ado, here are my answers…
Name: Michelle (Shell, for short)
Blog: The Purple Pumpkin Blog
Twitter ID: @MsPurplePumpkin
Hair: Long, dark brown/black, normally clipped up in the summer though.
Eyes: brown, with purple eyeshadow and purple glasses ;)
Is this your first blogging conference? No – it’s my second – I was at BritMums Live in 2013! I’m no where near as nervous this time around as I was last year!
Are you attending both days? Indeed I am! I’m looking forward to the BiB Awards on the Friday night, and getting down to some serious blogging workshops and networking on the Saturday!
What are you most looking forward to at BritMums Live 2014? The whole experience! Truly. I was so inspired by everything last year, and feel like my blog has gone from strength to strength because of the things I learned at the conference.
The agenda for the day can be found here and I’m really looking forward to the sessions, which looks like I’ll have a hard time picking between again! Definitely the food styling workshop which should be a lot of fun! It’ll also be nice to know that I’m going to BritMums Live, knowing other bloggers! I’m looking forward to the keynote speakers as well…like I said, just everything!
What are you wearing? See that top up there in the photo? I’ll be wearing that on the Friday! It’s one of my favourite purple tops, which I’ll wear with leggings and some flat shoes. Not sure about the Saturday yet…may well be purple again! Comfort is the key for a blogging conference, you do a lot of moving about during the day!
What do you hope to gain from BritMums Live 2014? More knowledge, more inspiration, more contacts, more confidence!
Do you have any tips to pass on to others who may not have been before? Yes! Here they are….
- Take some business cards – but don’t go nuts! I know so many of us had lots printed up and didn’t have a need for all of them!
- Take a charger for your phone – you’ll be on social media like mad, and your phone will not last all day! Don’t get caught out, there are places you can charge your phone!
- Use your camera to take notes – during workshops, slides are often used so I took quick snaps of the screen in case I can’t write everything down quickly enough!
- Don’t take too much with you – really, I learned my lesson from last year – I took, my phone, iPad, a notepad, pens, camera, plus all the other junk you find in a handbag! I never used my iPad once, there was lots of paper and pens to use (if it’s like last year, and I hope it is, we all got a notepad and pen at the tables!) The next day, I brought myself, my phone and my camera ^_^
- Make yourself heard – don’t be afraid to ask a question, or give an opinion during a workshop, you’ll kick yourself if you don’t!
- Arrange to meet with other bloggers – you may know each other through reading each other’s blogs, through Twitter, Facebook, wherever – try and have one friendly face (at least) that you will see in the crowd! And if you really don’t know anyone, come find me, I’ll be more than happy to talk to you! I will warn you though, I’m crap with remembering people’s names >_<
- Look at the agenda before you go – you won’t be able to attend every session, so make a plan of action! If you buddy up, maybe make a pact to swap notes from different workshops (that’s what Sam and I did last year)
- Network – be it will with brands or with other bloggers, make use of the time you have at BritMums to build connections – you don’t know what will come of it! Through talking to Panasonic last year, I became a Panasonic Brit Blogger this year for their imaging products.
- Be social – of course that means talking to others; but also tweet, instagram, facebook…whatever it is you do, share the day with other bloggers who can’t make it on the day!
- Relax and enjoy the experience – there is so much going on…it can be quite overwhelming the first time – you’ll meet lots of people, you’ll learn lots of things… you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll be inspired!
- Put your strong arms on – there was some serious swag last year in the form of goodie bags, so eat your spinach and be strong like Popeye!
- Blog about your experience when it’s all over – it’s great to read back on everything when the dust has settled. I’m so glad that I wrote about day one and day two, as I’m going to be reading them again when I’ve finished typing this up to re-live the memories!