In the evening Steve and I went to grab a bite to eat and a cocktail at Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto – there wasn’t any room inside the grotto itself which was annoying as it’s so cool in there – so we sat out on the Tiki Terrace instead.
The evenings are cooler in December, so sitting outside in the evening is pleasant – rather than sticky and humid like it is in the summer!
If you’ve read my previous trip reports, you will know that I love a souvenir mug/glass, and all (or nearly all) of the cocktails at Trader Sam’s come in glasses that can be bought as a souvenir.
There are some awesome cocktails available – you can see them in the pictures below with their accompanying glasses. They also have some non-alcoholic mocktails too.
Trader Sam’s Cocktails
- Polynesian Pearl – RumChata Cream Liqueur, Grand Marnier, and Cinnamon with Tropical Juices. The Pearl is yours to keep!
- Nautilus – Barbancourt Pango Rhum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Combier Crème de Pêche de Vigne Liqueur, Tropical Juices and Falernum. Served in a souvenir Nautilus.
- Uh-Oa! – Myers’s Original Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Orange, Passion Fruit, Guava, Pineapple, and Grapefruit Juices, Falernum, Cinnamon, and fresh Lime Juice. Recommended for Two or more Guests.
- Castaway Crush – Leblon Cachaça, Cream of Coconut, Pineapple, Cinnamon, and fresh Lime Juice.
- Rosita’s Margarita – Casamigos Reposado Tequila, Bols Orange Curaçao, fresh Lime Juice, Falernum, and Organic Agave Nectar.
- Hippopotomai-Tai – Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice.
- Krakatoa Punch – Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Pyrat XO Reserve Rum, Orgeat (Almond), Sam’s Gorilla Grog, and Hibiscus Genadine.
- Tiki TIki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum – Pyrat XO Reserve Rum, cream of Coconut, and Pineapple and Orange Juices dusted with Cinnamon and Nutmeg.
- Shrunken Zombie Head – Gosling’s 151 Black Seal Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Bacardi 8 yr Rum, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon.
- Dark & Tropical Stormy – Gosling’s Black Seal Rum, fresh Lime Juice, Ginger Beer, and Falernum.
- Spikey Pineapple – Barbancourt Pango Rhum blended with Pineapple Soft-serve.
- Mosquito Mojito – Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda water.
- Tahitian Torch – ByeJoe Dragon Fire Spirit, Tropical Juices, Passion Fruit, and fresh Lime Juice.
- Rum Flight – ¾ oz. pour of each: Bacardi 8 yr, Pyrat XO Reserve, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 yr.
- Sam’s No-Booze Brews
- Skipper Sipper – Tropical Juices, Organic Agave Nectar, Falernum, Mint, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water.
- Schweitzer Falls – Tropical Juices and Sam’s Gorilla Grog topped with Sprite.
- Polynesian Punch – Sam’s Gorilla Grog and Hibiscus Grenadine. Served in a Souvenir Sipper.
Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto & Tiki Terrace
We decided to share the Uh-Oa! if we were going to get any souvenir glass, we might as well get one of the biggest ones! I had wanted the rum flight, but they had run out of those particular glasses…
The Cast Member who served us told us a story about the cocktail, which I can’t remember now, but part of it was lighting fire to the spices that are piled up on each corner of the glass which caused little sparks to fly – drinks and a show!
As well as cocktails, Trader Sam’s also has some appetizers on the menu. When we visited there were eight to choose from.
- Headhunter Sushi Roll ($15)
- Chicken Lettuce Cups with Hoisin Ginger Sauce ($11)
- Kalua Pork Tacos with Cabbage and Pickled Vegetables ($10)
- Hawaiian Poke with Sriracha Aïoli ($13)
- Salmon Oshizushi ($14)
- Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâté Bánh Mì Sliders ($10)
- Corn-Battered Portuguese Sausages with Curry Ketchup ($9)
- Pan-Fried Dumplings with Soy-Sesame Dipping Sauce ($9)
We decided on the Kalua Pork Tacos and the Roasted Chicken and Pork Pâté Bánh Mì Sliders which we both enjoyed.
Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto & Tiki Terrace » Polynesian Village
Bill: $60 + Tax: $3.90 + Tip: $11.10 = $75
TiW Discount: $n/a
Total Paid: $75
We ended the day on the beach watching the Electric Water Pageant, followed by the fireworks, which this evening, was Holiday Wishes as it was a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party night.
And that’s where I will sign off on today’s trip report – leaving you with some of the photos I took. You will have to excuse the awful and blurry ones from the water pageant – one day I’ll get good shots!
Read about the day after:
Day 12: Fire & Water
Pool Time / Lunch at Oasis Pool Bar & Grill / Hollywood Studios / Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam! Holiday Firework Show / Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse
Read about the day before:
Day 10: A Star Wars Kinda Day
Breakfast at The Wave / Contemporary / Bay Lake Tower / Hollywood Studios / Magic Kingdom
I have included links to my camera equipment.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
The camera I use for my Disney photography is a Canon EOS 70D.
The two main lenses I use: Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro and Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC Art. Both of these lenses will also fit Nikon and Sony DSLRs.
I also take some photos on my iPhone7 for sharing on social media – follow my Disney Instagram account – LoveDisneyPhotos
Pool photos are taken with: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT5. A similar model is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT30EB-A
Videos are taken with Panasonic HC-V720, although the newer model is the Panasonic HC-V770.
Any photo editing is done with Photoshop or with Instagram editing features and filters.