Day 17 – Cook, Craft, Create: December 2012
Since my husband was born in the 1970s, I thought it would be fun to make these retro and kitsch looking cupcakes! I tweaked my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe…
- 450g (16oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 450g (16oz) caster sugar
- 450g (16oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp cocoa powder
- 8 medium eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 morello/black cherries in syrup (I used a large jar)
- 500g (1lb) unsalted butter, softened
- 1kg (2lb) icing sugar, sifted
- 4 - 8 tbsp cherry syrup (use the syrup from the maraschino cherries!)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- chocolate sprinkles
- 40 maraschino cherries (with stems if you can get them)
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F/Gas 4 and place 40 cupcake cases into muffin tins
- Combine all the ingredients for the cupcakes in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk/mixer for about 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy
- Divide the batter into the cases (I use an ice-cream scoop)
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely
- When the cupcakes are cool, use a cupcake corer (or a teaspoon!) to scoop out a small portion of the cake from the centre of each cupcake, fill each hole with a couple of morello/black cherries and pour in a drop of syrup too
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and cherry syrup together using an electric whisk/mixer. I added a small amount of cherry syrup to start and adjusted to taste. Beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy
- Fill a large piping bag with the buttercream and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake
- Cover with chocolate sprinkles and place a cherry on top
In these pictures you can see where I made a hole in the centre of and filled with syrup and cherries.
Some of the cupcakes I filled with Nutella – for those that really don’t like black forest!
I so wish I could find maraschino cherries with the stems on – they would have looked awesome on these cupcakes! But, even without them, they look so sweet!
Since these were for hub’s birthday, I made cupcake toppers using pictures of him from his life :D I also put a candle into each cupcake so that he would have 40 of them to blow out!!