The only way I can cling to summer at the moment (due to really dreary weather in my part of the world) is to share these summer recipes with you. I made this salsa for my Is It Summer Yet?! Barbecue at the weekend.
You’re going to need a black beans, sweetcorn, bell peppers, red onion, lime juice, cumin, Tabasco sauce, avocados, olive oil (not pictured) and flat leaf parsley (or coriander).
It’s a simple assembly job – the best kind of cooking!
Drain and rinse the black beans, and place into a bowl.
Drain and rinse the sweetcorn, and add to the black beans.
Stir through a teaspoon of cumin.
Add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce – I had a chipotle one, but the regular is fine.
Finely chop a red onion, and mix into the sweetcorn and black beans.
Finely dice the peppers and add those to the mix.
Peel and stone a couple of avocados, and cut into chunks. Carefully stir into the mix, and then add the juice of a lime or two to flavour the salsa, and prevent the avocados from turning brown. Pour in some olive oil and sprinkle in some sea salt to season.
Finally, chop up some fresh parsley or coriander, and stir into the salsa.
Serve as a side dish with tortilla chips or on a burger for a delicious South-Western style hamburger!
Blackbean, Sweetcorn and Avocado Salsa
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 325g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ orange bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 avocados, peeled, stoned and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- a few dashes Tabasco sauce
- juice of 1-2 limes
- 1-2tbsps olive oil
- sea salt
- handful fresh flat leaf parsley or coriander
- Place the black beans and sweetcorn into a bowl, sprinkle in the cumin and mix
- Add the bell pepper and red onion and mix
- Add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Add the avocado and combine carefully
- Pour over the lime juice and stir to coat the ingredients
- Moisten the mix, with 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with sea salt to taste
- Stir in the chopped fresh herbs
- Serve with tortilla chips