So, what eggs-actly does this all mean? Well, let me tell you!
- I’ll be working with British Lion Eggs and BritMums over the course of the year!
- I’ll be set challenges to cook easy, fast and tasty meals with eggs!
- I’ll be hanging out on Google+ sharing my eggspert knowledge!
- I’ll be sharing my recipes, ideas and tips with you!
- You can join in on Twitter and Facebook by using #shortcuteggsperts
And now for some eggs-tremely eggs-celent facts about eggs!
- The average person consumes around 173 eggs per year. That’s just over 3 eggs per week.
- Eggs are packed with vital vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamins A, D, E and some B vitamins as well as like minerals iron and zinc.
- You get more protein from eggs than meat.
- The colour of the eggshell depends on the type of chicken that laid the egg.
- A fresh egg will sink in water, a stale egg will float.
- Eggs are a source of omega-3 fats (the healthy fats), which can have significant benefits for the heart and blood vessels.
- The color of an egg yolk is determined by hen’s diet. A hen that eats lots of green plants will produce eggs with a deeper yellow yolk.
- The average hen lays 250 eggs a year.
- Eggs with double yolks are formed by young hens whose laying cycle hasn’t yet settled into a pattern.
- Storing eggs, in their box in the fridge will keep them fresher for longer.
- There are about 70 calories in a medium sized egg
- The British Lion Quality mark on egg shells and egg boxes means that the eggs have been produced to the highest standards of food safety.
I eggs-pect after reading through this post you might be wondering what my favourite egg dish is? Well, if it’s just eggs on their own; no muss, no fuss, it’s scrambled eggs! If it’s something sweet, I do love meringues, especially pavlova! And for something savoury, I can’t say no to a delicious frittata! What dishes do you love that contain eggs?
I can’t wait to bring you my posts about eggs throughout the year! Don’t forget to subscribe so that you don’t miss a thing from The Purple Pumpkin Blog!