My brother-in-law is a vegetarian and I needed to make a festive dish for my Boxing Day Buffet. Knowing he loves salad, I put together this Jewelled Rice Salad which not only looks pretty but tastes delicious too. All the different ingredients flecked through look like little jewels, which gave this dish its name.
- 4 x 250g packs microwavable long grain and wild rice
- 8 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice, plus extra to taste
- 12 tbsps mixed fresh herbs e.g., flat leaf parsley, chives, mint and coriander, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, de-stoned and diced finely
- 150g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 150g dried cranberries
- 150g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 150g walnuts, chopped
- 180g pomegranate seeds (roughly 2 pomegranates)
- 100g toasted flaked almonds (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. Leave to cool then place into the fridge for one hour.
- Mix the herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a bowl and set to one side.
- When the rice is cold, stir in the spring onions, chilli, mango, dried apricots, dried cranberries, macadamia nuts, walnuts and pomegranate seeds and mix well.
- Pour over the the herby olive oil dressing and stir through the salad. Check the seasoning and add more lemon juice, salt and pepper as required.
- If using the flaked almonds, stir some into the salad, reserving some to scatter over the top.
- Serve at room temperature.
— BBC Good Food Show (@BBCGoodFoodShow) January 9, 2014
This post is part of Cook, Craft, Create: December 2013, why not check out the other ideas this season?