Last weekend, we had my sister's and brother-in-law's round for dinner. I made chicken fajitas and Mexican rice. The chicken fajita seasoning just came out of a packet - Old El Paso - you can't go wrong with that stuff! I made the rice from scratch, and it turned out great. Jump to print/save the recipe.
I wanted to make the rice as healthy as possible, so only used one-cal oil spray instead of normal oil. I also didn't add salt, but please feel free to season to your taste. It worked out to around 200 calories per serving. This quantity serves 8.
I've mentioned before that I'm pretty useless at cooking rice, so I bought Uncle Ben's microwave stuff and used that :D I also used black beans, bell peppers (I use the mini ones), a couple of small onions, garlic, red chilli, coriander, tomato paste, and the juice of a couple of limes.
I started by chopping up the pepper and onions finely. I also sliced the chilli and minced the garlic in a press.
After heating up a large saucepan and spraying with oil spray, I sautéed, the onions and peppers until softened, then added the chilli and garlic.
The Uncle Ben's Express rice can also be cooked in a pan, as well as in the microwave. So I opened up the packets, added to the pan with a splash of water (as directed) and some tomato purée. Gave everything a good mix to disperse the paste into the rice, and then stirred in the drained and rinsed black beans.
I popped the lid onto the pan to steam everything for about 5 - 10 minutes - adding a splash more water as I didn't want to dry the rice out. At this point, if you are using salt, season to taste.
Just before serving, I squeezed in the juice of a couple of limes (to taste) and stirred in some coriander.
I served this hot, sprinkled with more coriander and wedges of lime. It was delicious, and just as good cold. My rule is never to re-heat rice! It's one of the worst foods for causing food poisoning!! No thank you very much!
I served my Mexican Rice with chicken fajitas - just using a packet mix, but a simple, quick meal....just slice up bell peppers and red onions and saute in oil spray (or olive oil) until softened. I tend to cook my veggies and meat separate for fajitas, because I've got a fussy family to feed! I then cook off the chicken, stir in the seasoning and then serve wrapped in warmed soft tortillas.
|Chicken Fajitas and Mexican Rice...enjoy!|
Mexican RiceServes 8
- 3 packets of Uncle Ben's Express Long Grain Rice
- 1 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper or 3 small bell peppers in your preferred colour, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 - 2 limes
- 1 - 3 tbsps water
- one-cal oil spray
- Heat a saucepan until hot, then spray with the oil spray.
- Sauté the onion and pepper until softened, then add the chilli and garlic
- Open the packets of rice and add to the pan, breaking it up
- Add the water and tomato purée and mix together
- Stir in the black beans and cover the pan to heat through
- When the rice is hot, squeeze in the lemon juice and add the coriander
- Serve immediately with wedges of lime
- Ideal side dish for chicken
- Can also be eaten cold. Don't re-heat
Don't miss a thing... Subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog!
Want to share your awesome ideas? Why not join in my weekly link party!
You can also follow me on...