Despite my pitfalls, I'm glad that I made this traditional British dessert and will try to make it again - without burning ;)
Now, I could have made my pastry, but I wasn't going to be taking my chances that day, and just bought some ready made. In this life where we can buy good products that make life a little easier, then I say go for it! To make the filling you will need unsalted butter, sugar, ground almonds and eggs. There is also a strawberry jam layer, and the top gets sprinkled with flaked almonds.
I started by lining my tart tin with the pastry, pricking holes with a fork and then putting baking paper and baking beans inside to bake blind. BIG MISTAKE! I don't know what happened, but the pastry stuck to my baking paper and I had to start over (after a trip to the supermarket for more pastry!) So on second baking, I just pricked holes in the base and kept an eye on it in the oven - when it looked like it was getting too puffy, I opened the door (bad move, I know) and gave it another poke to deflate the pastry.
Didn't turn out so bad huh?
With the crust all baked, it was time for the filling, which needs to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, so you could be doing this whilst the crust is baking.
Start by creaming the butter and sugar with an electric whisk/mixer - saves your arms!
Then add in the ground almonds and mix till well combined.
Finally, beat in the whisked eggs and pop the mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes.
You can then spread the jam onto the crust.
Then pour over the almond mixture and level off. How rustic looking...(read: mess!)
I had bought already toasted flaked almonds and didn't want to risk them burning further as this tart does cook for a long time (40+ minutes), so I added them towards the end. However, if you buy regular flaked almonds, sprinkle them on top now.
I also advise - learn from my mistake - to cover this over with foil for the first half of the cooking period so that it can set a bit, before removing to brown off and not burn like mine did. I had to cook mine for longer than the stated 40 minutes as it just wasn't setting!
When cooked, transfer to a wire rack to cool, slice and serve - with a dollop of clotted cream - delicious!
Bakewell TartServes 8
- 1 pack of sweet, shortcrust pastry to cover a 10 inch tart tin
- 280g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g ground almonds
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 85g strawberry jam
- 28g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 175C/155C fan/350F/Gas4.
- Roll out the pastry and line a 10 inch tart tin with a removable base. Pre-bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 160C/140C fan/325F/Gas 3.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then slowly add the ground almonds until well combined. Add the eggs and beat into the almond mixture. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spread the jam evenly over the base of the tart crust.
- Pour the chilled almond mixture over the layer of jam.
- Scatter the sliced almonds over the top of the tart.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the filling is firm and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.